Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few days ago about how my 3 month old pro series auburn posi unit was toast. Well now I have a brand new Eaton unit that Im going to replace it with. Both of the diff's are 3 series and the rearend has richmond 3.73's in it.

My question is, is there anything special that I will have to do to keep from messing up the gear mesh when I swap in the Eaton? My plan is to remove the toasted auburn unit keeping note of which shims go where, swap over the ring gear to the Eaton one, and drop the new unit in place. Will this work?

thanks,

------------------
Joe Scott
70 Chevelle Malibu 454/200-4R
White w/black bucket seat interior
Best 1/8th mile ET: [email protected] (1.79 60ft)
Best 1/4 mile ET: [email protected] (1.92 60ft)
(Both on REAL street radials)

My Chevelle Page

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
You got it IGOTTA71. Check the backlash first, then remove the old Auburn. You will probably be suprised at how much powdered metal you will scoop out of the axle tubes when you remove it. It would be a very good idea to epoxy a magnet to the cover before you put it back on to catch most of the metal that will still be floating around in there. Put it low on the opposite side of the ring gear. You will probably need some shims to set the backlash back the way it was. There is a nice shim set on the market that is adjustable and eliminates the need for a stack of shims. It sells for about $19 and is real handy. For more information send me a e-mail. Be sure you get the bearing caps back on exactly the way they came off and torque the bolts to 65 ft. lbs. Put a little blue Lock Tight on the bolt that holds the cross shaft in the posi.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I really hate to hear that your Aubrun posi unit went South. But I would really like to know what happened since I have a new pro series unit also and the same gear ratio and its a Richmond.

I hope you get yours set up good. The breakin on mine took a lot of time .but no trouble as of yet.

------------------
Ricks 64 SS Convertible

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IGOTTA71 & big gear head-Thanks for all the advice. I'll be glad when I can lay two patches of rubber again instead of just one

Viper-I had the Auburn unit and gear set proffesionally set up by a shop in atlanta called Southern Gear, so I know that was right. Unfortunately the posi just died. I first noticed that sometimes it would only spin one tire, then about a week later it was toast. Hope you have better luck.

------------------
Joe Scott
70 Chevelle Malibu 454/200-4R
White w/black bucket seat interior
Best 1/8th mile ET: [email protected] (1.79 60ft)
Best 1/4 mile ET: [email protected] (1.92 60ft)
(Both on REAL street radials)

My Chevelle Page

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.