Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing a factory set of power windows, locks and seat into my 71 Wagon. The setup came from a same year donor car. After installing, everything works except for the windows. I think I narrowed it down to the relay. I removed the cover of the relay to see what's inside and decided to manually close the contact points and the windows worked. But once I let off and the points opened back up, the windows were dead. The relay has 3 terminals. One has the main power wire which is orange/black stripe, 1 pink wire that goes to the fuse block ignition side (hot when key is on), and a red wire going to the windows. I first thought it was a bad relay, but after replacing it with 4 others, I ruled that out (obviously!!) This also has the power rear window which is part of the harness connecting to the relay. Again, rear window works when the other windows are working when I manually close the relay points. I would appreciate any ideas and Thanks! I am sure I have over-looked something over the last 4 days of fighting this.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Just a wag. The relay needs a good ground to actuate the coil. You say everything works if you manually close the relay. Give it a separate ground and see if it closes itself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the same thing and tried that already. Didn't seem to matter. Does the system get a ground from any place else? Is there a ground wire someplace? I assumed it grounds itself thru the body. In other words, the motors are grounded with the bolts to the door.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sounds like the motors are getting a ground. If you manually close the relay contacts, the motor works. This you are almost there. See if you can see why the relay is not closing by itself. If the relay has a good ground (you measured that right) then it lacks the 12 volts to it. Measure that wire when you hit the switch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well just like almost every electrical problem I have ever had, it was a ground problem. I thought it was grounded good but it wasn't. Dang, I spent alot of time chasing my tail on this one. Thanks for you assistance john.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts