Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John,

I have sorted my electrical problems. I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with.

67 Chevelle 283 automatic. I have a Mallory unilite, promaster coil and just recently upgraded to a two wire starter, but have trouble with the starter.

I pulled the engine harness from the bulk head inside the compartment. The original resistor wire that now goes to an inline mallory ballast then on to the positive side of the coil, the wire is exposed a little where it goes into the pin. Not sure its part of my problem. Put a meter on it and have good continuity.

The purple wire that goes to the starter, I checked continuity from the harness to the end at the starter, I wiggled it, pulled on it etc, made no difference. It has a large black piece around the end above the eye that is marked with a number "5". Must be a fusible link?

So, with the resistor wire being slightly exposed is it a problem? Should I remove it and replace it with another type of wire, since I am using the mallory? If I do replace it, do I keep the inline ballast?

Should I maybe replace the purple wire with a heavier wire for the high torque starter? If so, what type of wire?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
John,

I just hooked everything back up, and left the purple wire unhooked at the starter. I put a volt meter on it while my wife turned the key to the crank position.

I measured voltage from 10.78 to as low as 8.75, but it pretty much bounced around the 9.58 area. A few times it peaked at 11.??(went by too fast).

Is this normal? Or do I have a problem in the wiring?

tas

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Is something else connected to the purple wire? If it is open it should read battery voltage and not do what you describe. It sounds like you have a problem in the start circuit or the power to the ignition switch.

Peter

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Ok, I see your other post. Does the screwdriver always start the car? Don't worry about the Mallory. It hasn't anything to do with making the starter spin.
Peter
Or crappy contacts across the ignition switch. Even with no load they may not be making.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peter & John,

I have not added anything to the purple wire. I am the second owner, so I feel that it is still in original condition.

So do I change the ignition switch?

tas

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'd first check to see what things look like on the purple wire coming off the ignition switch. See if it behaves the same way as the purple wire down at the starter.
Next, as Peter suggested, check the fuseblock BAT terminal as you turn the key. This should be a steady voltage equal to battery voltage. Turning the key should not make this terminal move.
Both checks should give you an idea if it's the ignition switch or not.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I hope that everyone laughs with me.

I found out that the electric fan I installed, has been hooked to the fuse box, making it run while cranking the starter. Moved the wire to the wipers and tadah!

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions!

tas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts