Team Chevelle banner

ATTENTION :drivability and performance tuners

2715 83
Ported or full manifold vacuum for vacuum advance?
Which is it ?
Why ?
Talk to me.
Here are 2 videos with 2 different viewpoints on the subject.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Put an allen head machine screw in the plate that the rotor attaches to, to limit the amount of centrifugal advance. It will be trial and error to get the right amount of centrifugal advance, by trimming the head of the screw. Start with it having 10 degrees of advance. Then you can run 26 at idle, and 10 centrifugal, for 36 total. If that is too much initial, and you need more in the curve, trim the head of the screw more. Most recently Richard Holdender showed installing such a screw when he dynoed an Olds? engine.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
No pepper on plugs? That’s be my 1st thing to chk!
Not a shot of hearing detonation over the exhaust and SR in my Nova.
Good point and funny you mention that because I just took it out and pounded it and was thinkin the same thing . It's pretty loud but I did actually hear it ping . Stopped backed it off maybe 3 or 4 . Still heard it . Stopped and backed it off again and it stopped but I had backed it off a little too much. Vacuum gauge in the cab was showin
7 ish and it was bouncin all over. Now I just gave it some more advance and I'm idling about 13" . It's more steady but not steady.
The bottom line is if I bring it to between 36 and 38* it's not runnin like it could which probably goes back to too much mechanical tinimg I guess . The distributor as it sits is definitely not a match for this motor.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Ok heres the deal . The photo here is the distributor that's currently in the mill .
It is an older gm hei .
This distributor is 29* mechanical all in at about 2300 . The initial I can put wherever I want obviously.
If I put it at 8* initial which would be 37* total
(29 + 8= 37) it doesn't like that . The idle vacuum is erratic At 8* initial.
If I add 4 to 6* more to the initial I get 14" vacuum and its steady. BUT then I'm running
41 to 43 * total. That seems high but it's not pinging so who cares what the number is .
If it ain't pinging it ain't pinging.
Plus who knows at this point ? Those marks on that balancer could be lying to me.
I also attached photos of an old msd distributor I had hangin around along with some other stuff. Springs bushings couple VA cans msd stop
Looks like a street fire msd. It should have less than 29 mech advance. 22? I would try the msd it might fix your problem. It also has adjustable vacuum can so the can might be easier to get to work with your vacuum but you still might need to limit its travel.
The msd bushings are for their pro billet distributors but the springs should work if you need them.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Looks like a street fire msd. It should have less than 29 mech advance. 22? I would try the msd it might fix your problem. It also has adjustable vacuum can so the can might be easier to get to work with your vacuum but you still might need to limit its travel.
The msd bushings are for their pro billet distributors but the springs should work if you need them.
Now I remember why that street fire came out . Between it working sloppy out of the box and then the wires getting toasted some because of a fire in the engine compartment back when I decided not to use it in this rebuilt motor. It did still work though .
I'm gonna get another one man. I've got some intakes and an 02 5.3 that I'll never use . I've got a guy who's been wantin that 5.3 for a while now. I think I'm gonna off that and just get a good distributor.
I been eyin them msd ready to run .
The 8360 in particular.
Not cheap but I'll get more than that for the motor and I've got basically nothing into that .
If anybody knows anything about these 8360's and or has other suggestions for that same money I'm all ears .
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to ya !!

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
12,779 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving, I've read here on TC that the MSD Ready to Run are more like Ready to Quit, 2 yrs ago when I was dist. shopping I bought a Pertronix flame thrower III HEI but the Chevy ZZ4 dist. was also on my list, MSD was Very bottom of my list due to OFF shore and bad reviews here on TC, older MSD would be on my list just not new

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
I have had luck with all my msd parts. 8360 distributor, 8361 distributors with msd 6421 boxes, msd blaster coils, street fire hei’s.
pertronix flamethrower is another option. Used a couple with good luck.

This is super cheap but you cant adjust the mech advance like on their billet and not sure how much mech advance it has.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Happy Thanksgiving, I've read here on TC that the MSD Ready to Run are more like Ready to Quit, 2 yrs ago when I was dist. shopping I bought a Pertronix flame thrower III HEI but the Chevy ZZ4 dist. was also on my list, MSD was Very bottom of my list due to OFF shore and bad reviews here on TC, older MSD would be on my list just not new
Yeah I bought a pertronix III myself for a 500 hp sb . That worked out good .
Im aware about MSD's Red C problems lol but got mixed reviews. Maybe I won't hop on that wagon . This D7100710 pertronix Malibu ss 64 mentioned looks like a maybe .
I was lookin at the msd E curves too . Apparently alot of problems with moisture.
Those boards can't take any moisture and if it gets under the cap bye bye board .
Too bad about MSD . Another sell out company.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I have had luck with all my msd parts. 8360 distributor, 8361 distributors with msd 6421 boxes, msd blaster coils, street fire hei’s.
pertronix flamethrower is another option. Used a couple with good luck.

This is super cheap but you cant adjust the mech advance like on their billet and not sure how much mech advance it has.
When did you buy your 8360 ?
I like the looks of the features and how easy it is to make adjustments.
I actually really would rather have a e curve. No weights or springs . Just turn dials . Great as long as the board keeps workin lol

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Heres a more positive than not testimony of the ready to run .

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
They sure are ready to fail, I've had 3 fail already. One good thing about the ready to run models is you can take it apart sheet can the crap module and then wire it to run with your favorite 6 or 6AL box and never ever have that fail again. One good thing also about a points distributor is, even when the points are all worn out it will run, not well at high RPM but it will run and get you home, well at least it has for me.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
They sure are ready to fail, I've had 3 fail already. One good thing about the ready to run models is you can take it apart sheet can the crap module and then wire it to run with your favorite 6 or 6AL box and never ever have that fail again. One good thing also about a points distributor is, even when the points are all worn out it will run, not well at high RPM but it will run and get you home, well at least it has for me.
So your sayin that the msd 8360 is a good reliable distributor other than the module?

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
When did you buy your 8360 ?
I like the looks of the features and how easy it is to make adjustments.
I actually really would rather have a e curve. No weights or springs . Just turn dials . Great as long as the board keeps workin lol
Around 2010 so quality may not be the same?

I like msd over pertronix msd feels much nicer edpecially their bushings vs pertronix stops to adjust the mech advance.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
So your sayin that the msd 8360 is a good reliable distributor other than the module?
Without the module its same as a 8361 wich is very realible. Msd use oem reluctor and pickup coil from F**d.

·
Registered
144 Posts

I like msd over pertronix msd feels much nicer edpecially their bushings vs pertronix stops to adjust the mech advance.
The mech. limit stops on the Pertronix are strange for sure, I am 12 initial and then the full 24 mechanical so I don't have to use the stops. I'd like to put more initial in it but I am unsure the mechanical stop design.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·

Yeah man 2010 . Lotta water under the bridge since then . No an ocean full lol.
Alot of water under the bridge since 2019 .
I really did want that msd ready to run distributor but I saw too much dirt on it and the better number of positive reviews were from guys who bought them long ago .
Couldn't find much dirt on the pertronix though. Looked in every corner lol

61 - 80 of 84 Posts