Team Chevelle banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
David Ray Said the Crane stops are not available any longer ??
No I know but you can just use some piece of metal and make your own think david had pics on his homepage?

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Reactions: GM man

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Yeah I've seen that but is he sellin one or what??
I dont think he sells any but the one pictured are just a piece of metall fairly easy to make. He has mentioned that he had plans to start making plates like the cranes.

·
Premium Member
1970 SS454 LS6 11 second street car
32,426 Posts
Whats the effect of swinging all the way in one direction or the other with this ?
IE ;
30 * initial / 6* mechanical
Versus
6* initial / 30* mechanical
All due respect, forget about either. PERIOD :)
You'll never get the weights or the stop bushing right to get 6* mechanical.
FWIW, my LS6 car has 25* initial and 10* mechanical for 35* total. GM points style distributor.
Its just a simple 11 second 100% stock appearing muscle car and it will light the tires up at 50 MPH like it fell out of a tree.
I drive it on the street with the same timing at the track.
And I am not getting into vacuum advance here.
Keep it simple.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
^^^^^^^
Im also running 25 deg initial and 35 total+10 deg from my vacuum can on my 600 hp 489. Im using a MSD 8361 pro billet and a 10 deg bushing.
Gets 15-16 mpg on the highway and will light the tires at any speed thats legal.

·
Premium Member
32,426 Posts
My timing curve works very well when I nail it out of the hole...on the street or track. Typical 1.6 60 ft. with a stock suspension. Nothing special. Keep it simple.
This car such a hoot to drive....I wish I could take all my TC friends for a blast and show them how easy this is.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
All due respect, forget about either. PERIOD :)
You'll never get the weights or the stop bushing right to get 6* mechanical.
FWIW, my LS6 car has 25* initial and 10* mechanical for 35* total. GM points style distributor.
Its just a simple 11 second 100% stock appearing muscle car and it will light the tires up at 50 MPH like it fell out of a tree.
I drive it on the street with the same timing at the track.
And I am not getting into vacuum advance here.
Keep it simple.
Lol . No I wasn't suggesting I wanted either one of those scenarios. I was asking in order to maybe get an answer that would help me understand what those 2 opposite extreme would do .
Lite em up at 50 . That's fun !

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
My timing curve works very well when I nail it out of the hole...on the street or track. Typical 1.6 60 ft. with a stock suspension. Nothing special. Keep it simple.
This car such a hoot to drive....I wish I could take all my TC friends for a blast and show them how easy this is.
View attachment 755015
Thats cool man ! Car looks plain Jane stock too . What's your initial and mechanical?

·
Premium Member
32,426 Posts
Sweet lookin engine compartment there.
Thats 25 initial 10 mechanical?
Or the other way.
You did say stock so it'd be 10 initial I'd think
Thank you and yes!! 25+10
I would NEVER run 10* initial!!! The I would only have 20* total!! :)

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I am getting lost on what , when and where we are at this exact moment.
I run 36-38* total at 2800 rpm and have no clue what idle is. If you have MSD you cannot use most of the modern timing lights. With their dual spark the lower the idle the more inaccurate the reading is. It will bounce around. Does not know which spark to read. A cheep old school craftsman is what I use.

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Op’s problem is not enough initial imo he needs to limit his mechanical advance so he can run more initial so he gets steady timing from his vacuum advance instead of it bouncing around.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Waterbury Connecticut
Waterbury Connecticut.
I was born in Waterbury Connecticut.
Raised in Plymouth Connecticut.
Guys from Plymouth don't fold the ole man and his buddies used to say lol
Plymouth Connecticut was where the blown hearse was born probably 58 59 ish .
Doyle was the ole man's best buddy. He's my God father .
Ain't been in Waterbury long time .
Meccas still there ?
One of the best Italian restaurants I've ever eaten in to this day . Was an icon there back in the day. Place was probably established in the 20's or somethin

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I am getting lost on what , when and where we are at this exact moment.
I run 36-38* total at 2800 rpm and have no clue what idle is. If you have MSD you cannot use most of the modern timing lights. With their dual spark the lower the idle the more inaccurate the reading is. It will bounce around. Does not know which spark to read. A cheep old school craftsman is what I use.
Ok heres the deal . The photo here is the distributor that's currently in the mill .
It is an older gm hei .
This distributor is 29* mechanical all in at about 2300 . The initial I can put wherever I want obviously.
If I put it at 8* initial which would be 37* total
(29 + 8= 37) it doesn't like that . The idle vacuum is erratic At 8* initial.
If I add 4 to 6* more to the initial I get 14" vacuum and its steady. BUT then I'm running
41 to 43 * total. That seems high but it's not pinging so who cares what the number is .
If it ain't pinging it ain't pinging.
Plus who knows at this point ? Those marks on that balancer could be lying to me.
I also attached photos of an old msd distributor I had hangin around along with some other stuff. Springs bushings couple VA cans msd stop

Attachments

41 - 60 of 84 Posts