Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of replacing the door panels in my 70 Chevelle. The screw holes along the bottom of the doors used to attach the lower portion of the door panel have become oversized and the screws will not tighten properly.

I really don’t want to use larger diameter screws to secure the panels. Does anyone have a process or suggestion for plugging/patching the old screw holes so they can be re-drilled to accept the proper screws?

Thanks
Brad Howard
1970 Chevelle BB 402

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hi Brad,

If you haven't yet made any holes in your new doorpanels. You could offset the holes in the new door panels from the originals and make new ones in the door. If there evenly spaced, most people won't notice anything different. ;)

If holes were already made in the new doorpanels.
Then You might try some JB Weld to fill the holes.
The paper clip trick sounds good too. :D
I hope this helps you. Have a good weekend! Brian

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Brad, you can reach in the door with a small hammer and knock the stretched out metal back flat. You will need to have a "dolly" or another hammer for back up on the other side. Screw should work then.
Roger

·
Registered
271 Posts
If they are really oversized, then drill them out enough to shove in those plastic thread inserts (like you put in drywall to hang a picture or whatever) and attach the new panels.
+++

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All excellent ideas guys. Can't thank you enough.

Brad Howard
1970 Chevelle
BB 402

·
Registered
689 Posts
Does it need to look original? If not, how about using velcro on the bottom to hold them in place. That's what I'm going to do with mine...........just a thought.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have restored Corvettes almost all my life and I had a fix showed to me years ago, its very simple.
1. cut a strip of sheet metal large enough to cover the hole and then some 1/2 " x 1'
2. position over hole
3. pop rivet in place
4. drill hole in the new sheet metal in the same location as the old hole.
5. reattach panel in the same exact location.

Hope this helps, I have some metal strips that I purchased several years ago, if you just need a couple i will send some to you. free.

Rudy

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have restored Corvettes almost all my life and I had a fix showed to me years ago, its very simple.
1. cut a strip of sheet metal large enough to cover the hole and then some 1/2 " x 1'
2. position over hole
3. pop rivet in place
4. drill hole in the new sheet metal in the same location as the old hole.
5. reattach panel in the same exact location.

Hope this helps, I have some metal strips that I purchased several years ago, if you just need a couple i will send some to you. free.

Rudy

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I do exactly what rendrikat does, but I put the patch on the inside of the door frame. That way it doesn't hold the panel out at the patch area. I also use 18 gauge galvanized sheet metal. It's heavier than the stock frame, and really helps the screw get a bite. 22 gauge or thinner strips out too easy again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts