Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's the best way to stick the bumper pad to the bumper? I've only seen the glue sold with the bumper pads. I have the pad, just need to get it on the bumper. Thanks

·
Registered
777 Posts
Send a quick note to "Bill T SS70". He explained to me how he got his on his bumper. Great idea, just be careful!!!
He parked his van on one side of the garage door, right up against it. Then, after gluing the bumper on, he backed the Chevelle up and met the door. I beleive he also had a form in place between the Chevelle and the door that made up for the form of the rear bumper. Shoot him an email, I'm sure he'll give you tips!

------------------
Better Late than Never Fred
Team Chevelle #400
ACES #4055
Denton ...The home of happiness.
1970 Chevelle Malibu

·
Premium Member
28,597 Posts
I used the 3M super black weatherstripping adhesive and wood clamps with the bumper off the car.It's been on there for 3 years now..no problems.In fact,I just picked up a NOS 70 rear bumper in the wrappper and a NOS rear pad and looks like I'll be doing that procedure again.Worst part is having to scuff the bumper with scotch brite
to give the adhesive some extra "bite" for that bond.But,hey it works

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M21/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

[This message has been edited by mr 4 speed (edited 05-07-2001).]

·
Registered
425 Posts
I agree with Chris on using the 3M super black weatherstripping adhesive.

2 years ago I got a new rear bumper and new bumper pad with special adhesive from Ausley. Followed the instructions that came with the special adhesive and all was good for a while. Over the winter the adhesive let loose and the pad fell off. I ordered more special adhesive ( 1-800-228-7539) and redid it. Again last winter it came loose. My car is kept in a garage where it doesn't get below freezing.

This spring I ordered a new PRE-CURVED pad from Ground Up and applied it with the 3M Super Adhesive. So far, so good.

------------------
Bill Taylor
TC Gold Member #73
December 1999 Feature Car
www.chevelles.com/feature/december99.htm
www.chevelles.com/showroom/BillTSS70-2
www.chevelles.com/showroom/leaves2
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/65vette.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.