Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found one more reason to have one of the factory assembly manuals. When I have approached the parts department at the local dealer trying to find some small part for my '72 they groan and roll their eyes skyward. When I took in list of the part numbers from the manual along with the manual they promptly looked up those numbers and referenced them to new numbers where possible. I think that they were mildy happy that I was buying some of their old inventory. They did not hesitate to order more parts for me. Maybe others will find that this techniques will open a few doors for them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
J...Do you mean the shop manual itself? I have one of those and it doesn't have too many part #'s. I've been looking for a manual which has part numbers in it for my 64 SS..Where can I pick one up?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I am referring to is the assembly manual which shows the way that the car is put together. These are books of illustrations that were used by the factories that assembled the cars. These are available from Year One and others and are well worth the $20 that they cost. These contain line drawings of most of the important parts of the car and the part numbers in use at the time of production. I hope that this clarifies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys - I went to a swap meet a couple of weeks ago and came across a guy who will put all the manuals that Chevy put out for a particular year on a CD for you for only $39. This includes all cross references and I believe advertisements out for that year. So all you have to do is pull it up on your PC. Let me know if you interested and send his 1-800 number.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wouldn't even think about working on a Chevelle without a factory assembly manual. I bought the full set (64-72) for cross-reference purposes. I prefer those that are soft bound as opposed to the loose leaf style, cleaner copies.

Just a note: Part numbers as shown in the assembly manual may never have been available in service. Two examples:

- '69 assembly manual shows a PN for the master cylinder and brake booster assembly. Booster and master cylinder are serviced separately.

- Original shock absorbers are not serviced. Service parts are different.

Manual only shows content engineered by Chevrolet, not the "Fisher Body" stuff. Does anyone out there have a '69 Chevelle Fisher Body factory assembly manuel????? (I have the Fisher service manual)

[This message has been edited by faldrich (edited 11-25-98).]

[This message has been edited by faldrich (edited 11-25-98).]

·
Registered
366 Posts
I found that the part number in the assembly manual often did not match the part number on the unit(if it even had a number on it). I also found that the part number in the assembly manual most often did not match the counter parts catalog. This catalog I am refering to is the early 1970's edition. So its always sort of a trick figuring out which was the 'good' part number to research for procurement.

[This message has been edited by Paul Lower SoCal (edited 11-25-98).]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Faldrich,

I find no references to a Fisher Body Factory Assembly Manual, only the Fisher Body Service Manual.
It would seem logical that there would be such a book, but are you certain that the Fisher Body *Assembly* Manual exists? Tom Wilson

------------------

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tom Wilson
The Fisher Body equivalent of the vehicle assembly manuel was called an "Operation Descriplion" manual. In the time frame we're talking about, GM car divisions controlled vehicle assembly while Fisher Body controlled body build sometimes in totally separate buildings. The OD manual showed tooling as well as parts and assembly processes, I am told by my Fisher Body friends. Bottom line, I've never seen an OD manuel but I believe that they exist. Any old Fisher Body plant people out there that can confirm.

I speculate that OD manuals have never "discovered" because Chevrolet did not maintain these records and Fisher Body is long gone.

------------------

[This message has been edited by faldrich (edited 11-27-98).]

[This message has been edited by faldrich (edited 11-27-98).]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Faldrich,
Wow! Thanks for sharing your discovery of the Fisher Body Operation Description Manual. I had never heard of this book.
I will start my search for one today and when one turns up I'll do a detailed report of its contents. Thanks again. Tom Wilson

------------------

·
Registered
127 Posts
Is it possible that this undiscoverd book could hold the secrets to decoding the 69 cowl tag numbers that no one has info about???

·
Registered
548 Posts
What you guys need are the books that parts guys use they give all the right #s for replacement parts.I have a friend in the local GM dealer who will take the time to look up any parts,then goes to the computer to see if they are still available lots of time they are IE;kickdown switch TH400,no bracket, new fan shroud,new battery box,license door,Heavy Chevy wheel center cap only 1 left...FRED

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.