Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, first, I'm not attacking the smokers on this board, just looking for a philosophical conversation on whether or not to keep ashtrays in our Chevelles? I am working on my father's 66 conv, the ashtrays in the rear door panels are junk. We could replace them but it's just $40 more for something my family will never use. OK maybe the grandkids will stuff candy wrappers in them.

The door panels are bare metal now, I'm thinking just tack weld the ashtray holes shut before covering them.

Thoughts?What do you use your ashtrays for?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
No one in my household smokes, but I relaced my rusty rear ashtrays during the restoration so that the car would be as it was from the factory.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I would re-install the ashtrays just because that's the way it was built. Just an opinion from an ex-smoker...and the grand kids deserve the candy wrapper experience just like we had!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Just part of the look of a 66 car, in my case, and one of the few interior items that worked when I got the car and still does. So I am leaving it. Takes no effort to keep and maintain.

But I did convert the cigarette lighter into a power point!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just part of the look of a 66 car, in my case, and one of the few interior items that worked when I got the car and still does. So I am leaving it. Takes no effort to keep and maintain.

But I did convert the cigarette lighter into a power point!
OK, so this is funny. Here I am questioning whether to keep the ashtrays, but when I read this, I thought, man, I would never get rid of the cigarette lighter!

·
Registered
14,977 Posts
I put my crusty originals back in the rear when I did the door panels etc. MI email was missing the dash ash tray, I pulled the one out the 64 El Camino before I sold it and installed it. Doesn't fit quite right bit it fills the holes. Jim

·
Registered
616 Posts
I use it for change and cover the ashtray hole, lol.

Richard

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
It's a big part of the time machine effect. Back when these cars were new, there were ashtrays every 5 feet. All of them would be overflowing with butts too, and barely visible through a cloud of smoke. Heck, the first thing you made with clay in art class as a kid was an ashtray for mom and dad, and it usually looked like a crooked lump of **** with a hollowed out bowl shape and a few indents around the rim that looked like it just slid out of the hind end of a cow. The ones in the car were usually so packed full of cigarette butts, that you'd have to really work to empty them out. You could always fit one more in there though. Ahh, the good old days.

·
Registered
13,190 Posts
NO, I'm not a smoker-------------------------and you better NEVER smoke in my car!!!!!!!!!!

YES, I want to keep the ashtrays because I use them for change, candy, etc, and I use the cigarette lighter (socket) for my cell phone charging cord.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My dad would not know when it was time to buy a new car!
He always said it was time to trade in the old car when the ashtrays were full.
:)

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
I never smoked in my whole life so the ash trays stayed like new. A little off topic, but I was in the hospital for quadruple bypass surgery this past summer, a genetic thing in my case. One doctor asked me how long I had smoked and another asked me when I had stopped smoking. Most people smoked at some point in their lives I guess. I explained that I had never smoked period and I asked then if they would know why. Of course they were curious, expecting some deep, philosophical answer. I explained, with a serious look, that I spent most of my life driving muscle cars and at 10-12 mpg there was no money left for cigarettes and booze. We got along great after that.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
In my 68 vert I left them out and upholstered as a flat arm rest. In the 69 I am doing now I want to enlarge the hole for cup holders. Not sure if there is enough surface but I will let you know if it works.

·
Premium Member
16,796 Posts
I took the front ash tray out of my 86 Cutlass right after I got it so I could put a CB radio in place of it. The CB is still in the car. I use the ash tray in my 94 Caprice as a change receptacle. The only problem is when it gets full and the car accelerates rapidly, it flies open and the change goes all over the place.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In my 68 vert I left them out and upholstered as a flat arm rest. In the 69 I am doing now I want to enlarge the hole for cup holders. Not sure if there is enough surface but I will let you know if it works.
OMG, Great idea Ron! Keep'em coming everybody.

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
To me, it's a bit of therapy flipping those lids up and down and copping the feel of another simple mechanical device at work.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I stuff my iPod cable inside the ashtray.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,657 Posts
When I was a kid car ash trays were always around other places than in cars, picnic tables, front porches, my dads girlfriend was a bar tender and I seen them in the bar lol, back then it was a portable ashtray, that's another reason so many old cars don't have them, I found an original for my 68, 1 yr only, and I'm buying new after market for the rear and no one is smoking in my Chevelle, I don't smoke.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts