Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help ASAP!!!. Sorry if I'm posting this question in the wrong section but I just put sealant on the ARP head bolts for my 69' 396 BB with Merlin heads and need to know what the torque settings are. I didn't use ARP's sealant, I used a liquid gasket/thread sealant by Permatex but ARP says to torque to 65 ft lbs with their ARP THREAD SEALER or 85 ft lbs with 30wt motor oil. I need to know what step settings to use and what the final torque you guys used on your motors with ARP head bolts. I need to know ASAP before the sealant dries and gives me incorrect torque readings. I already torqued in sequence to 30 then 50 ft lbs just to get it at a half way point. THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR ALL YOUR HELP. I wouldn't be this far with my chevelle if it wasn't for the all the answers to my questions from the people on this web site.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Maybe this will be too late, but....
Call ARP on Monday morning. 805-278-7223.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
I always use a GOOD sealant on my head bolts. Have done so for years. And with a sealant I always torque to manufacture's specs. I have never had a problem. That's what I would recommend.

------------------

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,047 Posts
DZAUTO

Have you used these bolts lately? I've built a LOT of engines and I noticed right away that they felt funny the way they they torqued down. It's like there's no stretch to them at all. Especially the short ones, they hit bottom and stop. I had to tear down a TFS head 383 I built after about two weeks of running , the short bolts felt like they were not tight at all. This is purely subjective, but over the years a guy develops a feel for how tight a bolt is. When I broke loose the bolts, especially the short ones, there was no feeling of preload at all. As soon as they moved they were loose, not what I was expecting. Usually it takes about an eighth of a turn to loosen up a short head bolt.

Shorten the story, I beginning to wonder if the bolts are made out of too strong of material, no bolt stretch preload. I think there's a number on the package, 190,000 PSI or something like that. You got any idea what the spec for stock bolts would be? Got any idea how a guy might find out?

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.