Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, what's a better way to go than Armoral. I'm not too impressed with the stuff any more and it seems there's got to be some better products out there. Any suggestions.

Thanx

Doug

------------------
69 El Camino
http://www.chevelles.com/feature/dec98.html

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I don't really like Armor All either because it leaves a slimy residue. It works good on the wheels though.

What are you looking to apply protectant to, Doug? There's a lot of special products out there for specific things.

------------------
1970 Chevy El Camino (Custom)
Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Factory Dual Exhaust
Non-SS with Rallies
TH-350 - 2.73 Posi Rear
Factory PS, PB, PW, A/C
My El Camino Home Page - www.dreamelectric.com

"Oh my stars! There's that black car again! Everybody get in the house, now!"

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Actually, it's real great for making people slide off the seats!

I've switched to STP's "Son of a Gun", but it seems to be the same stuff. Anyone else with anything better?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate to admit this but when I was a pup I used the stuff on the seat of my motor scooter. That was exciting. I'm looking for something for use in the interior, dash, seats, doorpanels.

Doug

------------------
69 El Camino
http://www.chevelles.com/feature/dec98.html

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Lexol-PH is great for the vinyl, helps it last longer and from what I heard makes it look good too. For the dash, and other hard plastic surfaces, I've been using Armor-All but I'm sure there is something better out there. Anyone know?

Also, if you're treating the dash pad, make sure you get something that is good for protecting it from UV rays. This'll keep it from cracking.

------------------
1970 Chevy El Camino (Custom) Non-SS
Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Factory Dual Exhaust
TH-350 - 2.73 Posi Rear
Factory PS, PB, PW, A/C
Originally Burlington, NC Car - Sold at Carpenter's Chevrolet in Durham, NC
My El Camino Home Page - www.dreamelectric.com

"Oh my stars! There's that black car again! Everybody get in the house, now!"

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Haven't found anything yet. Armorall makes a non-glossy vinyl spray, but from what I saw when I tried it, I couldn't tell that much difference.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I used that STP stuff on my seats and I have a hard time not sliding off. Either that or my shirt rides up everytime I move around.

------------------
Joe Y.
68 malibu
Bloomington/Normal, IL

·
Premium Member
7,909 Posts
Bought a vinyl tonneau cover for our truck. The manufacturer suggested using just mild soap and water for cleaning and nothing else. Armorall was used specifically as an example of aftermarket cleaners not to use.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe Y:
I used that STP stuff on my seats and I have a hard time not sliding off. Either that or my shirt rides up everytime I move around.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, Joe, but it makes for an interesting ride!
You wind up looking like a "low rider"!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've probably used about everything under the sun by now.
Armoral contains alcohols and actually dries the vinyl in your car. Under not-so-extreme temperatures (hot or cold), it can crack plastic dashes and vinyl seats. I know about this first hand.

Anyway, Son-of-a-Gun works pretty good if you ask me. It is not the same as Armoral by any means. But, ANYTHING from Meguiar's will work great. For my tires I use that new gel stuff called Endurance from Meguiar's. It doesn't spin off or attract dirt. And, best of all, it smells like a grape lollipop!

------------------
Jeremy J. Bennett
Team Chevelle #298
Currently Chevelle-less!
1972 Chevelle - Sold 6/16/00

[This message has been edited by 72CHEVELLE (edited 09-11-2000).]

·
Administrator
16,156 Posts
POR 15 is selling a vinyl protectant. I have no experience with it, but I have some on order to try on a vinyl top and the cover to my hot tub.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I like Meguier's Natural Shine for the interior. It doesn't have that high gloss look and it holds up pretty well. Never tried Meguier's on the tires but use something that's probably very similar: Turtle Wax Tire Wax. It's a gel that you put on with a sponge and it drys to the touch. And it absolutely will not spin off.

·
Premium Member
28,419 Posts
I've tried tons of stuff myself over the years and I've settled on "Pledge"...it works well on vinyl and has a reasonable sheen-it's shine in "stealth" mode-NOT like Armor-All where it's obvious...to me,it looks just right

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/L78/M21/4.10
1972 Olds 442 convertible(455,W25,M40)
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
"Be aware of the possible ramifications of the potential outcome"

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a site at www.bluemoon.com that has a section with useful tips. One that was mentioned was using lemon pledge on the interior. They made sound like a good idea and I plan on trying it when the time comes.

·
Registered
622 Posts
My mind is trash ! I read the title as "Amoral" and quickly checked it out.

------------------
Make it look the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

·
Registered
49 Posts
ditto on the Pledge product. been using it for over 4 years now and interior looks and smells great.

Dave MacGregor
TC27
70 Malaibu 454
Coquitlam,BC

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
283v8, you're not alone. I thought the same thing until I started reading the posts. I guess I see what I want to see..

------------------
Tom Wood
Gold Member #66
That pile of parts in the garage IS my Chevelle!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yeah, my mind is in the gutter - right where I want it ! Ain't it great ?

------------------
Make it the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

·
Registered
425 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts