Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this panel called? Is it considered part of the firewall? I am restoring my first car and was wondering how I should go about restoring that area. Its not rusted but it is worn out looking. Is it typically just painted? I apologize if this is a dumb question.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,729 Posts
Do you have a pic?

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,729 Posts
Also if you look up NPD online catalogue in the sheet metal section it has a part locator which tells you the name of the part and prices for dif. years, other vendors may do that as well just using them for a ref

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Make sure you take windshield out before determining there is no rust. Very common place to rust. Technically it's part of the dash if it's the place where the windshield sits. Yes painted. Just not a gloss as it reflects on windshield and hard to see

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats it, cowl vent panel. I do have the windshield out already. I can't see any sign of rust there, not even surface rust. Its just worn out looking. I am not pulling the motor and painting the firewall so my question is what is the best way to go about painting any visible areas, should I have whoever I have painting the rest of the car spray it? Or should I just do some sort of roll on paint in that area?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts