Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

· Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it any better than it was two years ago? I've some how found a way to hang on but thing's don't seem to be getting any be me. Fuel cost will be right back to where it was in 07 & housing hasn't hit it's low yet. Are you guy's still having it rough? Just checking to see if thing's have changed for others or is it my line of work?

Bill

· Registered
5,779 Posts
Supposed to get laid off this week. Now they are saying next week. Things are about to get slightly worse.

Only slightly because I already sold my Chevelle and my house a few years ago.

I got a few kids for the right price. ;)

· Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Supposed to get laid off this week. Now they are saying next week. Things are about to get slightly worse.

Only slightly because I already sold my Chevelle and my house a few years ago.

I got a few kids for the right price. ;)
I wish you all the best. Sold my ride back in 07.:sad:

· Registered
5,396 Posts
I kind of feel better already being as close to the bottom as I am. But I really feel for those that are yet to have the rug pulled out.
It has caught up to my younest two sons who until last month were still working semi regular in home construction. Now they are wondering how they are going to make it through. Especially as they have both just started families.:sad:
I pray every night for all of you who are having troubles. But I don't know if it is getting through. Can only hope things get better soon.

· Premium Member
4,781 Posts
If you see what's going on in the middle east, it's going to get pretty rough for awhile longer. Just when it looked things we're picking up, several people's have finally decided to boot thier leaders, there is always a long recovery period, in these cases, and they are usually have far reacing effects, keep and eye on crude in the next few months, it's about to skyrocet, maybe 125-135 a barrel....

· Registered
5,630 Posts
If you see what's going on in the middle east, it's going to get pretty rough for awhile longer. Just when it looked things we're picking up, several people's have finally decided to boot thier leaders, there is always a long recovery period, in these cases, and they are usually have far reacing effects, keep and eye on crude in the next few months, it's about to skyrocet, maybe 125-135 a barrel....
If it hits $120, we will be in the beginning of a recession again. So oil prices will come down, because no one will be buying it.

See ya in CE.:)

· Premium Member
378 Posts
I have a roofing company here in TN, and the last 2 years are the worse I've had since I've been in business. Materials have skyrocketed over the past 3-4 years and now people are patching their roofs instead of reroofing. The only hope we have are the spring storms that'll come eventually. Not wishing bad luck on anyone, but that always seems to tide us over till mid summer. All I can say is plant a big garden and start some canning. Turkey season starts soon enough, so we won't go hungry, lol.

· Registered
6,914 Posts
My electrical contracting company is fortunately doing very well. Good enough that I hope to complete the buyout of another electrical contractor by the end of the week.

The nice thing about my trade is their are lots of different ways to go when one or two turn down. We are still doing some new housing here, but not enough to sustain. Commercial is up considerably, lots of new build outs and remodels, and energy efficient products are my bread and butter as well as government contracted HUD projects.

If you can't adapt to the changing economy you are going to be hurting for sure. Unfortunately many career fields don't have quite as much flexibility to dance around like we do, but I do believe most have the ability to do some, just so many are set in their ways that by the time they realize that way isn't working anymore they are too far gone.

Jeff

· Premium Member
4,781 Posts
If it hits $120, we will be in the beginning of a recession again. So oil prices will come down, because no one will be buying it.

See ya in CE.:)
I work in the plastics industry, right now prices are slipping, which is a indicator it's about to jump, already a few grades (EVA) is about 100% over what it is last year. Last year gas reached 5$, I think this year, it may be higher. Trucking costs are threw the roof right now, higher than I've ever seen...

I'm not a doomsayer, I'm always the "we'll get through this", guy. But it looks like the next few months are going to be brutal, before it settles back down. A lot of companies are not willing to carry people anymore, when it's busy, they hire, and when slow, have no problem laying off, driving wages down.

I hope I'm 100% wrong, but it's what I'm seeing in my industry right now...

· Registered
338 Posts
... now people are patching their roofs instead of reroofing.
Ha! Just noticed a few missing shingles. I should be in a place now where I call a roofer and have a new roof put on, as it is time for one. Instead, I put a tarp over the stuff in the attic under the hole, and will drag out the 40' ladder when it gets warmer, rig a safety rope, climb 30' to the soffit, then to the peak at about 45' up, at a 45° angle, and replace the shingles. I don't have the equipment to be that high up, and am way too old for this, but I just can't afford to pay someone to do it, and I can't let the house fill up with water.

I finally admitted last year that the business we had started was kaput, but I still have tens of thousands of dollars of loans from the business to pay off, and never know if I'll make it to the next paycheck. My job is good, but the bosses make unreasonable demands, and I am not sure when I might be fired without cause, just because someone got the idea to "streamline" or something.

In spite of buttloads more education and "prestige" than my father had, I have literally no hope of ever matching his lifestyle or retirement age. He works on his cars on a Rotary offset lift in a huge pole barn that he had built to his specifications. At nearly 50 years old, I lie on my back in my driveway, and protect my cars with tarps and bungie cords because I don't have a garage.

This is the reality of the declining standard of living from one generation to the next in the 21st Century, and my boy will have it even worse, I'm afraid.

- Eric

· Registered
18,121 Posts
we're working overtime, with prospects for working as many hours as we want for the rest of the year.

but i also work for a company that only tries to get enough profits to keep the doors open and thel ights on. right now, we are selling million dollar packaging machines to companies like Coors and Coca Cola that have something like a 120% profit margin, and most of the profits get saved up to keep us working when things slow down.
yeah, it kind of sucks working on 20 year old cnc machines- but the money not spent on new machines gets paid to us and you really get to learn how things operate on the older equipment.

· Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I am in the aggregate business. Thank god we supply a few municipalities (towns and county) with winter road sand, crushed stone and blacktop. Private sales are at an all time low. People just can't afford that paved drive or whatever in this economy. It's also tough to bid on big projects with other contractors striving to just keep their help working, thus bidding with a tiny profit built in. I'm afraid this oil crap is going to really hurt us this summer. Trucking will get higher, the cost of liquid asphalt is triple what it was a few years ago. It does not look good. Couple that with New Yorks world famous taxes and its a recipe for disaster.

· Registered
5,779 Posts
Yeah, I sometimes wish I hadn't started a family. But back in 2000, it didn't seem like everything would fall apart as fast as it did.

I have also realized that I'll never be able to live as well as my father did. My objective now is to try to give my boys the best jumping off point I can.

· Premium Member
7,843 Posts
Nope,still no job since June '09. The wife has found one though. Luckily We have a big savings account to back us up.

· Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Bill,you know my situation,have owned my own tractor and trailer since 74,have been,driving commercially since 71.The company I have been leased to (Landstar/Inway Heavy Haul) just announced they are going to be requiring us to have EOBR's (Govt. mandated on board recording systems)on all our trucks.With the terrible economy,cheap rates,rising overhead,(fuel,repairs,tires,ins.,etc.,etc.,)I've had it,more govt. intervention is the final straw.I'm throwing in the towel.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.