Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the mechanic that I would use to set up my 12 bolt told me not to use richmond gears because they are noisey. Is he right or should I find another mechanic. Jegs and summit sell richmond gears and not much else. Do I have other choices?

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Do s search in the Engine and drivetrain forum for "noisy gears" or just "richmond" You will find that everyones whine at some given RPM.

I can only hear mine at 30mph and under engine braking. Mostly because my fuel pump and exhasut droun out any other noise.

If you have a quiet daily driver, you will hate having a richmond gear. the trunk makes the niose reverberate and causes you to listen to the radio 24-7.

Can't remember the substitute right off. Something like "U.S. Gear" someone makes some quiet ones.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, TH400, 3.73 posi,
13.1sec @ 105 MPH (poor 2.1 sixty foot and rookie tuning)
--will be racing at Chevellebration 2001!--
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Super Moderator
13,353 Posts
MB,
We have installed at least 7 sets of Richmond gears and never had a problem with noise. I believe that if the gears are set up properly, meaning with a pinion depth gauge instead of by the "eyeball" method, they should be quiet. I am very particular when setting up gears and have not had a problem. It can be very time consuming when done properly.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
992 Posts
I cant hear much in my car, BUT, I've shut the key off and coasted and not heard any whine....just tire noise

·
Registered
124 Posts
ditto on what billk said

------------------
Troy Miller
Whiteford,Maryland
70 Nova
72 Nova
66 Chevelle

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've got richmond 3.73 gears in my 12 bolt and have never heard a peep out of em. I do however have an electric fuel pump and a loud exhaust like BB_Mike so that could be drouning it out, but like Big Block Dave, I have shut the key off and coasted without hearing anything.

Hope this helps,

------------------
Joe Scott
70 Chevelle Malibu 454/2004R
White w/black bucket seat
interior

My Chevelle Page

·
Premium Member
28,846 Posts
I've always used Richmond gears and never has a problem... my 4 speed car has a set of 4.10's and they're quiet.Find another mechanic.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M21/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've had a few sets of Richmond gears and no noise. Not hearing anything while coasting is great, but to make up for that pump the gas pedal 10 times then turn the key back on. Please post your results here.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mr 4 speed:
Find another mechanic.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True True. I since have. Same guys that bored 90% of my #1 cylinder over 60 and the last 10% was left alone... can you say "stop piston, stop"? knew ya could

·
Registered
361 Posts
My Richmond 3.73's "whine" a lot !!!
and only when accelerating, not coasting !
Yes, they were installed correctly,
and just the other week, I re-checked them,
my understanding is that this is mainly only a problem with the 3.73's and not other ratio's

PS: anybody want them ??? I'm going to 4.10's

------------------
RicksRag
Stephen City, Va
TC # 560
ACES # 3702

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have US Gear 4.11's in my 12 bolt that I bought through moser, installed them myself and haven't heard anything from them at all. Can't comment on the richmonds but i'm really happy with the US Gear crown and pinion that I have.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
"Because of my velle, i'm broke, cut, bruised, tired, dirty, sweaty, and loving EVERY minute of it"
My Page

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
For Monkeyboy and the others who believe in this and other car fairy tales and who answered this thread.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Do you really think that Richmond builds gears that make noise and that they know it? Oh wait might be it is only the 3:73 sets (or at least the 3:73 sets are the worst) that must be it! Yup Yup that must be it: Richmond knows about the problem and knows it is a problem in the set up of the machines that make the gears. They don't want to fix it or cannot fix it. RIGHT! Or is it somehing inherent in the 10 /37 number of teeth on 3:70 sets. Might be that Richmond just cannot make quiet 3:70"s. Just impossible like making water run uphill.

Come on stop parroting back everything your hear and THINK for yourself. Does this seem reasonable or might it be that some of the folks doing this setup work just plain are not qualified?

Man oh man I love this road lore, junk information. When you pitch a bitch about noise at these guys they automatically go to "they all make noise" and you kinda look forelorn but accepting and just shuffel away! Better yet get another different ratio other than 3:73 and take it to the same putz who wrecked the first set. WOW.

Gears make noise cause the backlast or the pinion depth or both are wrong. Noise means misalignment and misalignment means early premature wear.

Where does this stuff come from? The biggest bull**** line in automotive repair work is "They all do that". Just insert whatever thing the dope mechanic can't find or fix in the blank "They all______ " BillK is RIGHT you can set Richmond Gears up to be quiet. You just gotta know what your doing and have the right tools and have the patience to do the job right. All these Clydes that believe "They all do it" are not using their heads. If your buying that line I got a bridge to sell ya.

Okay everybody start writing in SWEARING your gears are set up right but still make noise. About that bridge......

[This message has been edited by oman (edited 06-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by oman (edited 06-06-2001).]

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,777 Posts
It sure is strange so many people say Richmond gears are noisy and not any other brand. It's also strange I put a set of their 3.73's in my car and set the pinion shim 3 times with .008-.009 backlash each time. I had 3 different patterns, one perfectly centered up and down on the drive side tooth, and one each .003 worth of pinion shim each side of that. No change in noise. I finally took them out and put in U.S.Gear 3.73's, which are quiet. Sure is strange. It also was strange that three different gear supply houses (that carry Richmond and others) told me that Richmonds inherently tend to be noisier than others due to the tooth design.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey Oman,
When are you coming up to "set-up" my gears ?
I am not a fairy or parrot, don't believe in fairy tales, I'll make coffee and will pay your expenses for the trip, if you "guarantee" to quite my 3.73's, PS: where's the bridge and how much water do you want pumped ?
Signed
Putz

·
Registered
834 Posts
Oman, I don't know who you are but I think you need to adjust your attitude a little, because with a post like that people might get the idea that your dumba**. I'm SURE that's not the case but if you keep yappin off like that then everybody is going to get that wrong idea.

If you have a difference of opinion with somebody else's statement that's fine, but at least make an intelligent argument. Maybe richmond makes their gears from a stronger alloy than others, and the trade off is that it makes a little more noise, did you think about stuff like that before slamming other peoples opinions?

BTW, the world IS flat, I heard it on tv yesterday.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
"Because of my velle, i'm broke, cut, bruised, tired, dirty, sweaty, and loving EVERY minute of it"
My Page

·
Registered
389 Posts
My Richmond 4.10s and 3.73s never made any excess noise. Just like any gear you gotta set them up correctly.
Oman must be having a bad hair day.

------------------

Fast Ernie
All throttle..................no bottle

·
Registered
567 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Block Dave:
I cant hear much in my car, BUT, I've shut the key off and coasted and not heard any whine....just tire noise<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same for me...........

------------------
"Laissez Le Bon Temp Rouler' Cha!"
Chevytalk Moderator
GMforums Moderator
"Jungle"Jim
70SS396 & 70 Malibu
My Car
"I don't drive FAST, I just FLY low!"

·
Registered
974 Posts
Over the years and in various vehicals, I have had two rear ends rebuilt by different shops and rebuilt three myself.
With the exception of one, they were all Richmond gears. The GM gear set was the only one that did not howl. In all cases the howling was when I backed out of it at freeway speeds above 55mph

------------------
Dale
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / Modified 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

www.chevelles.com/showroom/elkydriveway1.jpeg

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have used both Richmond Gears and US Gear. I started with 3.73 Richmonds in the 12 bolt and ran that way for about seven months. They were noisy from day one. I eventually replaced them with the US Gear 3.73's and what do you know--no noise! None at all. That was two years ago. The US Gear set cost less than the Richmonds as well.. So to respond to the subject of this topic, YES, Richmond gears were noisy for ME. They may or may not be for you though. Do you really want to take the chance? Go US Gear!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Oman,do you have a problem understanding the f****ng question. If this mechanic sets the rear end up with richmond gears and it still howls, don't you think he will blame it on the gears and say "I told you so" - and still charge me. I'm just trying to avoid a problem. If the question annoyed you so much, why answer it. I thought the idea on this site was to help others, not insult them.

[This message has been edited by monkeyboy (edited 06-09-2001).]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.