Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eventually the bumpers on my car will have to be replaced or rechromed but I'm trying to figure out if they're the original bumpers or reproductions. My car had a partial restoration back in 1987 and I'm can't tell if they were replaced (were bumpers on the market back then?)or the originals. I sure don't want to rechrome some reproductions. Is there a way to compare the thicknesses of the bumpers (original vs repro) or anything to look for that one would have but not the other?

------------------
1970 Chevy El Camino (Custom) Non-SS
Will be Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top (now black)
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Dual Exhaust
TH-350 - 2.73 Posi Rear - Factory PS, PB, PW, A/C & More
My El Camino Home Page
Other Restorations -1969 Snowco Trailer & 1967 Sears Custom 600 Tractor
Team Chevelle Member #995

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You can sleep tight tonight, Shawn. Rest assured that there were no reproductions back then. Most of the stuff was still available new from Chevy! In 1987, I was able to walk into the Chevy dealer and buy a new front inner fender for 30 bucks and a new front fender for around 125 bucks! Cool, huh?

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
551,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jerry! That helps me out a lot because I was going to order some cores for rechroming. I was wondering about my front bumper because it doesn't fit right, it's too far to one side than the other and I thought that this was one of the reproductions problems and because I didn't think it was adjustable side to side.

------------------
1970 Chevy El Camino (Custom) Non-SS
Will be Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top (now black)
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Dual Exhaust
TH-350 - 2.73 Posi Rear - Factory PS, PB, PW, A/C & More
My El Camino Home Page
Other Restorations -1969 Snowco Trailer & 1967 Sears Custom 600 Tractor
Team Chevelle Member #995

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Shawn,
The fit problem is, more than likely, being caused by the bumper bracket(s) itself. I had a case where some kid in a stolen Honda bounced off my front end about 3 and a half years ago. I bought a "boyz" rechrome (don't get me started!), but the bumper bracket on the driver's side had to be staightened a little because the whole bumper was shifted over to the passenger side too much. Compared to the brackets, the bumper has some "spring" to it, and gives a little more.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
551,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
sorry

[This message has been edited by plain 69 (edited 06-04-2001).]