Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a LS-6 crate motor that currently has a Holley 4150 double pumper. I am sick of re-building and having to have it rebuilt (the sucked runs great but keeps leaking all over my nice intake). I just purchased an Edlebrock 1411 750 CFM but have not installed it yet. Is this a good carb?

Thanks,
Scott [email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
It may not give you as much HP( pretty close) as some other 750's but once you get it dialed in you will probably never have to touch it again.

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
For day in and day out dependability, I haven't found anything better than a good ole reliable Q-jet. I have 2 vehicles with Holley intakes and an adapter plate for Holley to Q-jet. Two other vehicles have Q-jets on Q-jet intakes. They just work so good!

------------------

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm glad there's another Q-jet nut out there...It gets lonely sometimes!
The Edelbrock is however a great carb, based primarily on the Carter AFB it showed its face in many factory muscle cars and has a solid track record.
It's also easier to tune since you don't need to dig into the fuel bowls to change metering devices...

------------------
Sean Flanagan
Heavy '73

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I also prefer the Q-jet. Just like any other carb you cannot just put any q-jet on any engine. When a Q-jet is dialed in (for me anyway) it performs better than a Holley for the street.
Regarding the Edelbrock. Since you have already bought it go back and buy the tune kit. Out of the box they idle great and have good off idle response but they lack power for a BB. You will have to dial it in.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Registered
42 Posts
the carter and the e-brock are the same, both made by weber international. bolted mine on right out the box adjusted the idle and mixture, haven't touched it in 2 years. they work great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a Holly and Q-jet sitting in my cabinet in the garage. I am running an Edelbrock 1407 and like the ease of change.
I would get the calibration kit, it helps and for the price you can't beat it. I also used the Edelbrock O2 sensor and it made calibration a breeze! It's my opinion that any of the above carbs will deliver as long as you find the sweet spot. I would be more than happy to give you the jets and rod combo that I using.

Brian

·
Registered
3 Posts
After much research, I plan to go the Edelbrock way as well. I think you should be OK with the size. Three guys I talked to said this was the best setup they ever had and the easiest to set up.

·
Registered
336 Posts
although i dont consider myself a quadrajet "nut" i must agree that a properly tuned qjet will run very very nicely.. as well as or better than any edelbrock, carter or holley.. but as for carter afb carbs (havent used an edelbrock) i think they are junk.. i have a 650 or 700cfm (not sure) carter afb "competition series" carb that was on my 350 and it was gutless.. i switched to a BAD holley 4160 (750 cfm) and performance went through the roof *especially* on the top end. you could tell just by revving the engine in neutral, life was good. then i got a brand new 4160 to replace the bad one (only $210 not a bad price for such a great carb) and installed a $30 electric choke kit and life is grand.

this probably doesnt apply here but i hear that a q-jet is very good for offroad use too because of the float bowl design (as opposed to the center hung float/dual bowl on a holley 4bbl)

anyways my two cents as usual..

in the end, i say go holley or q-jet if you arent looking to be too hot-roddish.

anyone else have something to add?

mike reeh

PS-- anyone know how to ID the cfm rating on the carter afb carburetors? or have a home site for whoever makes em

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mike,

We tried a similar set up on a friends car I had the and the Holley worked well for about 10 minutes and the mixture went, readjusted it and 10 minutes later the power valve went. Rebuilt the thing put it on my truck and the same thing over again.

JT
L65 71 SS soon to be 454

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
I have to agree with Fred, a Holley carb should not leak and should be pretty foolproof and maintanence free. Don't forget they started out life as a factory carb on some of the late 50,s Fords, and Ford used them on their trucks and 5.0 Mustangs until they went to Fuel Injection. The biggest mistake that we see with guys working on Holleys is not using OEM Holley parts, especially gaskets and needle and seat assemblies. Some of the other kit manufacturers use some real junk. If you use Holley parts and take some care there should be no problems.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Registered
33 Posts
How can anyone doubt the double pumper? What is a little minor tuning for a bunch of gear heads? I call it fun. The only way you can beat their performance, is to buy a new verson, like a Claw, or Deamon. You can't go wrong with a Double Pumper.

------------------
RYAN REEVES
[email protected]

·
Registered
356 Posts
The Edelbrock is very forgiving, but for the street the Qjet will give better performance - especially part throttle to full throttle transition. The only thing is it takes a little more work to dial it in- especially the idle circuit. I have run both in different cars and they both have their positives and negatives. Edelbrock is great out of the box but a Qjet will give better response if you put the time into it. Also, if you run a 700R4 the Qjet more closely matches the linkage of the cars the 700R4 came out of so you get better shift quality.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Here's 2 cents more from someone who hates to spend it. You have a good carb in the Edelbrock. I have 3 Holleys on cars & 1 Carter AFB on my Big Block. I like them all for different reasons, but the Carter (same as Edlebrock as mentioned previously) is hard to beat for all-around driving, starting, tunability, setting choke, etc. I've had some fine Q-jets also, but since you have the carb already, I think you'll be more than satisfied with it. The tune kit sounds like a good investment, though,& one of the other replies offers successful setup info that you can use, but you've got nothing to lose by bolting that sucker on & giving it a whirl. Good Luck.....ODIE.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The last time I checked into Edelbrock/ Carter carbs I found out that Edelbrock was making it's own castings of the carb. When they first started doing this there was a minor flaw in the accelerator pump area of the cast, causing a leak. I would imagine that this has been remedied by now. I have a Carter 600 cfm on my 72 and it works great.

Johnny

------------------

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.