Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on vacation in Arizona, I make it a point to visit junk yards to look for Chevelle bits and pieces. Last year I saw many Chevelles with lots to salvageable parts. This year there are are only a few picked over hulks. Is this happening nationwide? Are there still places where a guy can find "rust-free" Chevelle parts?

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

·
Registered
423 Posts
Fred;

It's a basic matter of "supply and demand"!

Even here in California (where cars last longer), Chevelle "parts cars" are now ending up at "collectors" parts yards. Stuff is still out there, it just costs more!!

Wes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Fred, I dropped into a good sized Mass. junkyard looking for parts for my '72 and the guy laughed and said "72?? You're lucky to see a car in here older than an '88". The salvagers can't be bothered with tying up their money in rusted old cars that take forever to get rid of. They salvage what they can, the rest goes to the crusher. Big turnaround here in New England, unless you're lucky enough to stumble on a backwoods junkyard with something worthwhile out back.

·
Registered
622 Posts
How about a page on this site for listing junkyards that have Chevelle parts???
Name, address, phone, description in 20 words or less.
Simple , but may help us out ???

------------------

·
Administrator
3,375 Posts
I gave up even looking in yards a few years ago. (idaho, montana, BC) They usually just laughed and/or couldn't be bothered. A six pack tended to change their minds though and access to poke around changes
Most anything I've found is picked over or rotted into the ground. As mentioned, the dollars for the wreckers (oops, excuse me, 'dismantlers') are in the newer parts and pieces. My best sources been my own wrecking yard as I found that a couple of clunkers can usually be bought cheap and have lots of parts. It also helps to have a friend with lots of acreage to store the occasional donor.

edit: looks like we were posting at the same time 283v8 - that's a good idea. I'm not sure how many would volunteer their 'hunting grounds though'.

[This message has been edited by Al (edited 02-19-99).]

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hell, as a group, we're not that selfish.

First entry;
North Carolina, Henderson, Travis Auto Parts,
252-492-5849,Old cars, tons of all models & makes. About 50 (my guess) Chevelles 64 on up.
------------------

[This message has been edited by 283v8 (edited 02-19-99).]

[This message has been edited by 283v8 (edited 02-19-99).]

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd be glad to accumulate junk yard info at my web site if you folks would e-mail me. [email protected]
Regarding yards specializing in "classic" parts, this yard is such an operation. They have lots of nice 50's cars as well as many 60's & 70's Olds, Pontiac, Impalla and Monte Carlo parts vehicles but, compared to last year, their Chevelle and Camaro cars were gone as in stripped and crushed or sold. The operator directed me to a solitary '69 Chevelle, a recently arrived reasonably complete station wagon, but there was nothing there I could use. It appears that the demand for Chevelle stuff greatly exceeds the supply.
Much of the value I have added to my car is used parts I've found and restored. Many of the parts have come from swap meets but some types of parts, fragile grilles and dash bezels for example, don't show up at parts meets. Correct horns are item I've had trouble locating. I've attended Carlisle twice, same stuff, just a lot more of it. Perhaps this is contributing to the increased number of "custom" thyp cars. These only take money. You can't just go buy "original" and apparently its becoming much more difficult to build up a correct car a little at a time. Whew, I feel better now.

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 02-19-99).]

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Red's Auto Parts
22267 Hwy. 110 South
Troup, Tx 75789-9702
903 842-3141 - Ask for Mike

Good supply of chevelle cars/parts- not cheap but most are reasonable and Mike is great help.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.