Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
I remember this thread. One change I have made as I used to unplug them for the winter as just figured it never kicks on and was using a trickle of electricity. Well with my current unit I stopped doing that and it has lasted longer than any previous unit. Maybe just a coincidence???
I don't think so? I was going to comment that just like a/c units the seals will dry up if the unit isn't cycled intermittently. Remember the old manuals that would tell you to run your a/c every once a while in the winter to cycle the oil to keep the seals intact?

We used to keep a dehumidifier running in our house but the power bill hurt. Ended up putting new vapor barrier down in the crawlspace and updated the ductwork and a/c system. It's helped.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
We used to keep a dehumidifier running in our house but the power bill hurt. Ended up putting new vapor barrier down in the crawlspace and updated the ductwork and a/c system. It's helped.
I imagine a vapor barrier would help with a crawl space. I have a basement and it is by no means a leaky or wet basement. My property has very good drainage so water coming in basement is not a problem. But the basement is finished and has furniture/etc in it. A dehumidifier is a very good idea just to control the moisture that is in the air that migrates up through the ground. We first noticed the higher humidity after finishing the area and adding furniture. It started to smell musty. Never noticed when just a basement.

Premium Member
I swear I inherited some dh units in an office I managed for six years that always ran, 24/7. Took me a few months to find out what they were and that the admin assistant religiously emptied them. Wish I knew what brand they were.

Premium Member
I have a Devilbiss (sp?) that's been going strong for quite a few years. I did have to replace the condensate pump, but otherwise hasn't failed (yet). As mentioned in one of the older posts, it's due for an internal cleaning.

Registered
Use a 70 pint unit in the basement and a 50 pint unit in my two car garage, and both have been running strong for the past 6 years with no issues - both are Frigidaire units. Always shut them off when the fall season comes around.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts