Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Have a Tripp-lite unit that has been running for 7 years full time in the summer and winter. No issues except occasional cleaning of the condensate drain hose. Birmingham, Al about 50 pints a day in the summer and 20 or so in the winter. Sure makes a difference in the shop. Easier to cool and heat much better comfort. Bought the unit from Granger.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I bought a Delonghi with built in pump. It's actually the 2nd one. The first one the pump quit so I ended up buying another -- but the larger model. I loaned out the original smaller unit to a coworker after his basement flooded. I had expected to get it back at some time.... that never happened. The pump eventually quit in the "new" unit, but come to find out it was just scum that built up in the tubing that blocked the line (and likely the same fault on the original). I changed out the pump and inline filter and it's been fine ever since... knock on wood!

I don't know how old the unit is now as I've forgotten when I bought it, but I'd say close to 10 years. I don't really need it in winter, but I'll turn it on in early spring and it runs all the way through fall -- every year. When it finally goes... I'd say I got my money out of it.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
My dehumidifier runs 24/7 in my garage. I bought a pair, The spare unit I never use it. Its still in the box. I bought mine at lowes. It has been running fine for 5-6 years....:thumbsup: I will look and see what brand it is???????
Bob

Reactions: 427L88

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Dirty filters can shorten life expectancy too. dehumidifiers, furnaces, air exchangers. I dont think the newer units are as forgiving as the older stuff. That goes for any appliance. Motors and compressors are lighter and wont take the abuse. There is so much emphasis on efficiency these days they dont build any safety factors in anymore. But just my opinion and no data to back it up. I do agree with others that 10 years use seems to be the norm anymore. It is a shame as the technology is there to make them last. Hopefully, we will see a swing back to North America built stuff that is not junk and that people are willing to pay the premium for the quality. Will see.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Before you replace any units, check to see if they’re on a recall list. There’s only a few manufacturers and my frigidaire was on the list, so they sent a new unit for free. It’s been working fine for several years.
Craig
Same here. I had two recalled Frigidaires. They made you cut the cord off and send a picture of the sn# and severed cord, and they would send you new ones. I just put new cords on the old ones and use in my workshop. But they are only effective for about 5 years or so...

·
Premium Member
14,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Same here. I had two recalled Frigidaires. They made you cut the cord off and send a picture of the sn# and severed cord, and they would send you new ones. I just put new cords on the old ones and use in my workshop. But they are only effective for about 5 years or so...
Same exact thing here except i just threw the unit away that I cut the cord on. Thought about putting cord back on and using in the garage and wife put the kibosh on that saying if it caused a fire we would be screwed as we were supposed to destroy it and IIRC fire hazard was the recall. Anyway the replacement Fridgidaire unit lasted two seasons then puked out.
So I returned the Danby to Costco and got new one. Working good right now. Hasa two year warranty so we will see what happens.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Too bad they don't still make them to last 10 years.
I'm looking at them as disposable, so I buy the cheaper units and run them until they don't run anymore. They usually last 2-3 years in my shop, and that's one reason why I buy the smaller units. Another reason is that I do some woodworking in the shop, so he dust will eventually kill them anyway. I put them on a shelf and with a drain hose into the sink, so I don't need a pump. It's a very basic and inexpensive setup, but it does the job.

A $200/30 pint unit will easily keep my 1000 ft2 basement at 30-35%, and that's in mid TN where it can get really muggy. It can take a few hours for it to get the humidity down if I leave the garage door open for a while, but it's not like it's struggling or anything.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Thought about putting cord back on and using in the garage and wife put the kibosh on that saying if it caused a fire we would be screwed as we were supposed to destroy it and IIRC fire hazard was the recall.
That's why I don't use those in the house. Shop has concrete floor and no combustibles around unit. When I put the new cord on I did see electrical connection areas that were rusty and corroded. Those may have actually been the cause of known issues. I cleaned those up before putting back into operation.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Couple points here. Today's dehumidifiers use R410 high pressure refrigerant and the Chinese kids that put these units together just aren't up to the task of assembling them to handle that pressure. We had a Whirlpool in the basement that lasted 20+ years. Have had 5 or 6 various replacements in the last 8 or 10 years now. There is nothing out there (affordable) that has any build quality. One thing I've done on this last one is to take the humidity sensor that sits right on the evaporator coil out from the back of the unit and let it stick out of the rear to get an accurate reading on the RH. This stops the constant cycling of the unit every 5 minutes or so which I suspect causes a lot of early failures. We'll see. These things are way too expensive to be such low quality junk.

·
Premium Member
18,676 Posts
I like what Tom3 said, Makes sense. My 10+ yr old one is chugging along right now keeping some "old iron" dry. Now I know I hope it chugs longer as " they don't make them like they used to", and that's a fact!

PS for around $4000 a Trane/Mitsubishi wall unit kicks ever loving tail! And most of y'all could use a heat pump for mild winter use as well. ( +500 I think)

·
Premium Member
14,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I remember this thread. One change I have made as I used to unplug them for the winter as just figured it never kicks on and was using a trickle of electricity. Well with my current unit I stopped doing that and it has lasted longer than any previous unit. Maybe just a coincidence???

·
Registered
14,964 Posts
you bought it at Costco, take it back to customer service and see what they will do for you. we buy all our electronics, phones etc thru Costco. best warranty out there. jim

Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Keystone -- a brand I had never heard of until I started researching because my Frigidaire crapped out fast. The Keystone is now 2 yrs old and running strong. Great reviews at the time I bought it.

I buy units without the pumps in them and run an external pump so I don't have to dump the bucket every day and worry about internal pump failure. Little Giant pump, quiet and easy to clean at the end of the season.

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
719 Posts
I have 2 70 pint Dehumidifiers (a Frigidaire & a GE) one with a drain hose in our basement which isn’t a wet basement to begin with, plus one in my detached garage which is dry walled and very tight. Both run as needed and appear to be functioning well. I’ve had mixed luck with dehumidifiers over the years, including a Sears Kenmore that we believe started our house fire from the basement in 2008! A year or so later we get this notice from Sears that some units have been found to possibly overheat and start a fire! Well duh!!!! Couldn’t find our serial number by then & of course Sears is no longer now! So, yes I’ve had good & very bad luck with dehumidifiers! Even the good ones won’t last that long is my experience! Whatever you have monitor it and take care of the thing!

• Wow
Reactions: 427L88

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
1,410 Posts
My dehumidifier is plugged into a programable “Christmas Tree” type timer, runs for 1 hr., shuts off for 1 hr. cycle. My OLD Sears unit Is probably going on 40 yrs old, rebuilt once by an old time refrig. tech (RIP) who knew what he was doing and for about $20. Guess that I’m very lucky. The unit was running 24/7 before the timer and the power bill reflects the change….FWIW.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts