Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am referring to the stand alone plug in units one would use in their basement or garage. The last four units lasted two seasons each. Then the refridgerant leaks out and they are no longer able to extract water from the air.
Well I shattered that record. The latest one lasted two weeks before it gave up. I believe the latest is a Danby which I bought from Costco. I bought it because it had a two year warranty and I figured id get an extended warranty which Danby offers on their products. After buying it i come to find they dont offer an extended on their dehumidifiers.
If someone knows of a more reliable brand id like to hear about it. Also dont want to spend $1K on a dehumidifier only to find they last 4 years instead of two.

Reactions: Capt Casey

·
Premium Member
4,830 Posts
We have several from Frigidaire that we have rented out through our business for several years with no issues.

Available at Home Depot.

·
Premium Member
14,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,
You must have better luck than me. Two of the last four were Fridgidaires. Two seasons each, like clockwork, then they crapped out. Believe the Fridgidaire only comes with a one year warranty.

·
Premium Member
4,830 Posts
We also have a couple from Zenith (yup, the TV company) with no issues.

It's hit and miss with cheap Chinese junk.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
We mostly install whole house units that are really good, but quite spendy. As a stand alone unit, we have had good luck with Friedrich 70 pint units with built in pumps. I have a few out there that are 5+ years

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
What an appropriate thread...I think ours is/or has crapped out, too. It's several years old and all of a sudden it doesn't seem to be working as well as it has in past years. Granted, it has been hotter and more humid here than usual but still...Guess it's time for something new but then the ultimate question...what to buy? Always something and I guess it's just typical for this year especially!

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Before you replace any units, check to see if they’re on a recall list. There’s only a few manufacturers and my frigidaire was on the list, so they sent a new unit for free. It’s been working fine for several years.
Craig

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Danby Premiere from Home Depot gets used every Winter for 6 Months 24/7
at lest 5 years old

At lest once a year take apart and clean out scum in Tank

·
Banned
7,446 Posts
I've been using what they have at Menards. Bet one I've had so far is a Soleus use it almost year round. Shop in the summer, attached garage in winter, it about 7 yrs. old. Can't remember what I paid might have been over $200.

·
Premium Member
7,937 Posts
I'm still using a Hotpoint 20 that I bought used in 1988. Rebuilt the fan motor a few years back. It was made in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. I think they were a value brand from Westinghouse. Yes, the factory is long-since repurposed, now used for McMaster University Technology. I used to look out the window across to the Westdale factory in the 1980s at a job I had. I remember in the late 60's their fleet of old Dodge A-100 vans in the lot for service calls & expediting orders.

·
Gold Founding Member
65,552 Posts
Danby Premiere from Home Depot gets used every Winter for 6 Months 24/7
at lest 5 years old

At lest once a year take apart and clean out scum in Tank
Dehumidifier = summer time
Winter time = humidifier

---

Just about everything is "throw away" now days.

I've fixed a lot of dehumidifiers, most just need a small refrigerant leak fixed and recharged.

There is no "D' in the word refrigerant. :)

·
Premium Member
4,830 Posts

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Dehumidifier = summer time
Winter time = humidifier.
Dean for God's sakes I am 68 years old and have been around the block a few times( xwife's and such )
and as you should know NOT all Houses are the same

My House in the Winter time has to much Humidity in it so therefore I have to run a Dehumidifier
or the Windows run Wet with Moisture

My House in the Summer time with the Windows open does not have a problem with Humidity
and is usually within the Norms even when we need the A/C on

I have the Gauges right next to the Furnace / A/C Controls telling me what the Humidity and Temp is

Reactions: Capt Casey

·
Gold Founding Member
65,552 Posts
Not in my neighborhood:noway: ;)
No kidding, you really need to dehumidify the winter air in Florida?

We only do in the summer around here.

Air-conditioners dehumidify but not enough in some homes with basements.

Humidity migrates to the colder-dryer area by itself so one little crack around a window or door and POOF it's gone outside in the winter.

·
Premium Member
4,830 Posts
No kidding, you really need to dehumidify the winter air in Florida?

We only do in the summer around here.

Air-conditioners dehumidify but not enough in some homes with basements.

Humidity migrates to the colder-dryer area by itself so one little crack around a window or door and POOF it's gone outside in the winter.
In Winter, we open all the doors and windows and enjoy the Carribbean breeze.

No basements here.

Reactions: LeoP

·
Banned
7,446 Posts
Have never used a humidifier even in winter, don't like condensation on windows. Air exchanger runs from late fall to early spring.

Reactions: LTJOHN

·
Gold Founding Member
65,552 Posts
Dean for God's sakes I am 68 years old and have been around the block a few times( xwife's and such )
and as you should know NOT all Houses are the same

My House in the Winter time has to much Humidity in it so therefore I have to run a Dehumidifier
or the Windows run Wet with Moisture

My House in the Summer time with the Windows open does not have a problem with Humidity
and is usually within the Norms even when we need the A/C on

I have the Gauges right next to the Furnace / A/C Controls telling me what the Humidity and Temp is
My apologizes Greg, I'm almost 83 and this is the first time I ever heard of anyone needing a dehumidifier in colder whether. (GULP)
But then I only serviced HVAC equipment around the Kansas City area and never been to Canada.

Still learning at 82, now if I could just remember it. :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Run a 70 pint Frigidaire unit in both my garage and basement. Each unit is running strong with no problems for the past 5 years.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Long time ago i bought 2 Ebac commercial dehumidifiers off ebay. They worked great. 1 is still humming away, it was manufactured in 1997. The other one was newer, but definitely worked harder living in the crawlspace of my weekend place. That one quit last year, so i bought a new one for $700. After having to send the first new one they sent me back and get another new one, i feel it doesnt work quite as well as the 2 older models. I wont be buying another Ebac again.
For the record, my dehumidifiers will occasionally come on in the winter as well.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts