Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im pretty sure the master cyclinder on my 70 is original. I figured out that to order the same exact one I have to get a 69. I've looked at quite a few engine pictures and all but one had the 70 unit. Im guessing that both were used on 70s. Does anyone know if that is the case? I think I will use the 70 model if they are interchangeable since it has the original color finish on the cover and its cheaper. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
It depends on disc or drum brakes?

According to the interchange drum barkes from 67-72 interchange but not for disc brakes! The disc brake MC is different for every year and does not interchange.

Source-Hollander Interchange

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, thanks but now I'm not sure what to do.

I have disk brakes and verified from the build sheet that the car was originally equipped with them. Im sure I have the 69 style MC since I checked both units at the local parts store and in the year one catalog (all were for disks). Im the second owner and the car hasn't been on the road since 1990, so I dont really know if they worked right then. Does anyone else have this setup ( 70 chevelle with disk brakes and 69 master cylinder)?

The 69 units are wider, both fluid tanks are the same size and have two cover retainer wires that clip from the ends.

The 70s are taller have different size tanks and one retainer clip that clips on from the side. Its alot easier to see the difference from the covers show in the Year One catalog pg 294.

Please help somebody - do I use 69 or 70 MC. All I need to pass inspection is to finish the brakes. This baby is ready to see the pavement again after spending ten years in a potato barn!

W

·
0 Posts
Well this will stir it up, I put a 73 corvette master on my non disk brake 67 chevelle. It failed one snowy evening and it was laying around the shop. Worked just fine.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Doug, Look on the bottom and see if it has a part #, some years do. If it does you can find out what it is and what will work.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.