Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
I have a 72 chevelle i need quarters done and i have an arc welder to do them (only welder i have). would this cause my electrical gauges to short out? or cause an electrical fire? i want to make sure because i;m doing the panels and dont want any mishaps. i'm not up to speed with welding so i just want to be safe.
thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
658 Posts
If by arc welder you mean a stick arc welder, I would think that it would burn holes in the sheet metal since it is so thin. Stick welders are meant for thicker steel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
First make sure your battery is disconnected from the terminals. Always check to see what is on the other side of what you are welding to prevent fire, wires melting etc. In most cases interior parts may need to be removed, carpet, things like that. And yes as already mentioned use a mig welder with a low amp setting so you don't burn through the metal or distort it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah the reason why i ask this is because i have the manual with the welder and it says for settings of metal 1-4 mm thickand was thinking body panels are around 2mm-3 mm thick i thought...

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
yeah the reason why i ask this is because i have the manual with the welder and it says for settings of metal 1-4 mm thickand was thinking body panels are around 2mm-3 mm thick i thought...
Two layers of modern day sheetmetal are in the 1.2 to 1.5 mil thickness. So even on your chevelle you are not even at the 1mil thickness.
A mig welder will work so much better and have way less warpage. An arc or stick welder shouldnt even be allowed near body panels...Eric

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
2mm-3mm is .08-.120 thick. You won't find steel that thick on Hummer!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts