Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using dual 11" SPAL electric fans on an aluminum "Be Cool" radiator, and chose to wire both fans into the supplied fused relay. I keep blowing the fuse, and was wondering if I should have wired both fans seperately with a relay & fuse for each? It works for a short period of time, then pops the fuse. Anyone gone thru this before? Thanks!

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed
TEAM CHEVELLE #726 ACES #4486
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"
“What the heck are all these extra nuts & bolts for?”

My 72 Chevelle SS Restoration Website: www.wcvt.com/~ghaskin

·
Registered
859 Posts
How big of fuse are you popping? These fans take typically over 25 amps in total, and if you drop some load on them (negative static pressure), they will labor above that.

You can run both fans on one relay (I suggest a 60-70amp automotive relay) with one circuit breaker (40amps...not 30).

Or you can wire them separately with each a 30 amp relay and 25 amp breaker.

I am not a fan of putting fuses in fan circuits as you can see. Relays offer more of an "inductive current spike" protection, having some delay in reaction to the high inductive spike in current, than fuses in general.

------------------
Steve Jack - ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets / Engineering & Marketing Technologies

·
Registered
418 Posts
I use two 14" Spal's on my car. I have separate 30 amp relays and 30 amp fuses for each fan. I used some Radio Shack relays in the passt and they got so hot that the cases began melting. Switched to Hella brand and no more melting problem.

As Hotrodsrj said, these fans draw a lot of amperage, especially on startup. A 20 amp fuse will very likely pop on startup.

------------------
It's a BIGGER block!

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys-

I'm using one Hella relay that was supplied for the SPAL fan kit. I received two complete relay & wiring kits, but chose to wire both fans together only using one relay. I think the fuse is either 20 or 25 Amp. Sounds like I need to install the other one as well. That leads me to one other question.....my relay is wired to a temp sensor screwed into the cylinder head. Can I wire both relays to this one temp sensor?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Has anyone tried direct wiring the positive side of the fan (with a fuse, of course) directly to the battery, and letting the relay ground the circuit to make the fan operate? Are there any disadvantages to this?

------------------
65 Danube Blue 4 door wagon, 350/330hp crate with 700R4, Factory air, Factory am/fm stereo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts