Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if these copper header gaskets are worth the money. Do they seal well and are they reusable?
Thanks.
Ron

------------------
70 Chevelle SS396 (427)M21 Before / After
66 Nova SS 327 M20
95 Z28 Convertible T56
Aces 3081, TC #54 Gold

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,687 Posts
I've never used the copper (I'm too tight) gaskets, just the Mr Gasket composition ones. I found out one thing the hard way: The square port gaskets don't work so well with round header ports, such as the Dynomax headers. I had a leak with new square port gaskets, switched to round port Mr Gasket gaskets like what came with the headers, and no leak. The weld bead on the header that seals the header to the head is round. The gasket must match the header sealing bead. Just tighten the bolts after each of the first few cool downs and everything is hunky dory.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

·
Registered
461 Posts
Also have Dynomax headers on my SBC350. After much trial and tribulation, I bought NAPA stock SBC gaskets for $7 8 months ago. So far so good. Even iff they fail I can simply loosen the header bolts and drop new ones in. About a ten minute job per side. The key, I believe is to do like Von said , tighten them cold after a few hot/cold sessions and do the same once a month or so after that.

·
Gold Founding Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the reason I'm so worried about leaks is, my left side header almost touches the frame crossmember and the header wont move away from the head without lifting the engine a little bit. I've had headers on other cars using the composition gaskets and had leaking problems from time to time, just trying to avoid a problem before it becomes one.
Thanks.
Ron

------------------
70 Chevelle SS396 (427)M21 Before / After
66 Nova SS 327 M20
95 Z28 Convertible T56
Aces 3081, TC #54 Gold

·
Registered
13,120 Posts
After changing gaskets several times, I finally got copper. End of leaks (I wonder how much I spent on all those other gaskets).

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with DZ. Go with copper.They have served me better than the composites.

------------------
There is no replacement for displacement.
72 SS W/ls6,4-SPD. 68 Malibu 396,4-spd.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Where I work we get a lot of people coming in who have used copper header gaskets that leak. The only way to guarantee they won't seal is if the flange on the header has no welded bead such as the Doug Thorley or Sanderson.

If you look at a copper gasket it has a raised bead around each port, in order to be effective the bead on the gasket must match the bead on the header. That is why they really only work well on certain headers.

The only gaskets I would use are the Mr. Gasket Ultra Seals header gaskets. I would also tighten the bolts after the first heat cycle, then every couple of days until they remained tight.

Steve R

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I just got a set of locking header bolts. I plan to put 'em on tomorrow with new gaskets. I'll let you know the verdict after I run with 'em for a few weeks.

I'll be using round port header gaskets with Hedman shorty headers.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 1-9-02)

"America will endure!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Keep this in mine since this just happened
to me last week.I bought a set of them & after installing I couldn't get #one plug in
nor#6 & they hit my head bolts.Would not work
on my elderbrock heads.

------------------
<A HREF="http://chevelles.com/showroom/driver10.jpg" TARGET=_blank>My 68 Chevelle @ The Super Chevy Sept2001
E.T 10.886 @116.59 60ft 1.5 1/8 6.838</A>

More 68 pics

70ss sold to team member

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
driver, are you talking about the copper gaskets or the locking fasteners?

------------------

"America will endure!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

·
Registered
461 Posts
ToCool-If your header almost touches something when just sitting there, engine torque and or movement may cause them to hit the frame and cause your leaks. You may have to ding the headers to provide clearance. Not an uncommon problem.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Greg, I think you just pointed out my problem. It's not the frame, but the rigidity of the exhaust pipe putting the header in a bind.

I actually have to put a floor jack under my exhaust pipe to get the rear bolt in once I've started the front bolt.

Tomorrow I'm gonna cut the pipe and put a coupling in there to ease the stress.

After putting the locking bolts on the header with the cheap Mr Gasket round gasket, my header leak is worse than before.

I think once I cut the pipe, install the coupling, and use some copper-seal on the gasket I'll be in good shape.

If I still have leaks I'm gonna go for the copper gaskets as a last resort.

I really like the Stage 8 locking header bolts. The ability to use either a hex key or wrench makes installing the header bolts much easier. But the stainless looks too good against my rusty old headers.

------------------

"America will endure!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

[This message has been edited by cjlandry (edited 01-19-2002).]

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ive dont use copper on my chevelles but when I used to race jet skis professionally we used to use copper head gaskets with a gasket sealer called 1211. We would run the compression on those little motors well over 200 pounds of compression. Worked great on our exhaust gaskets too.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
OK, here's what I did and the results:

Driver's side always had a header leak. After reading the suggestions above I decided to give it another shot.

I have the short water pump setup with the F-bracket for the alternator. The other bracket uses the front two header bolts, so I thought this might be part of the problem. I don't think it was.

First I replaced the gasket with yet another Mr. Gasket part #150 (1.5" round port). Tightened down with the Stage 8 fasteners. Leaks everywhere after about 10 minutes, even after attempting to re-torque. Black with soot were the ceramics on all four plugs as well as the plug wire boots.

I cut the tailpipe from the header with my torch (yeah, it was welded because I got sick of replacing collector gaskets). Removed header from engine. Cleaned surfaces really well and checked for distortion with straight edge. Found no distortions. Also found that the drop in of the #150 gasket failed because of some old gasket left on bottom edge of surfaces while trying to scrape gasket from headers attached to tailpipe.

Used Mr. Gasket #5902 gasket (1.63" round ports). I noticed that this gasket fits the header and the port very well. None of the port is covered by gasket as with the 1.5". Put "Mega-Copper" high temp silicone gasket on sealing surfaces of gasket. Re-installed header with Stage 8 stainless locking fasteners. Re-welded pipe to header. No leaks! This is the best this thing has sounded in years! I finally got rid of the "tick-tick-tick" of the header leak.

Now I can do a better job of tuning the engine because I'll be able to hear a ping rather than an exhaust leak.

I hope this helps someone.

Edit: BTW, this is with 6 year old Hedman shorty headers. They're still in great shape!

------------------

"America will endure!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #04556
'68 El Camino

[This message has been edited by cjlandry (edited 01-22-2002).]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.