Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I currently have a Wells VR 715 voltage regulator and want to change my older chrome alternator to a newer one.
Unfortunately, I dont know what the current amp rating is of my alternator. I have several amp drawing things like a electric fuel pump, auxillary electric radiator fan, MSD ignition, etc.
My question is, can someone tell me what amp alternator they are using with the VR -715 made by Wells without burning it up? I see that alternators are rated anywhere from 60 amps to over 100amps.
Thanks

[This message has been edited by cottonpicker14 (edited 07-02-2002).]

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I am using a 715 Wells with a 135 amp alt. So far about 3,200 miles in 4 months without a problem.

BTW, for the 12 bucks I keep a spare in my parts box in the trunk.

------------------
Rob Mirabile TC #1079, ACES #4387
"If You Don't Drive It-Sell It"

The Ride
The Crew
Showing Off
The Lemans

67 Malibu Conv (always under construction)
64 Lemans Conv, Building for my brother-in-law

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'm not using a large output unit, but the size of the alternator should not matter. I'll try later on to look up Well's internet site and post it. (Have it on the computer at home). I've found the tech reps very helpful in answering questions about their products.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did contact Wells tech support. He said that their VR715 is rated for around 40amps and that if I go over the Original Manufactures rating for a stock replacement alternator, it may burn up. He was saying that they are only rated for the original alternator that would have been stock.
DOes this sound right ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I`m running a 63 amp alternator with the vr-715 regulator, both new and no problems. I`ve run the chevelle at night with everthing on a/c,lights,stereo...etc and not a problem. Manuel

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Not heard of such a thing. The regulator hardly sees much current at all. That's why the wires to it are small. However, maybe I learned something. I'll try and contact them in the morning if I have a chance. Several people have used these for years and not had them burn up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm using the solid state regulator with a 105 amp alternator in my 69 427 Impala with no problems. The old points-style regulator would stick with the new alternator. I replaced the regulator with the new-style solid state one and not a problem since. Sorry, I don't have the number for the solid state reg but I got it from the local AutoZone and it was something like $12.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
The wells VR-715, is a Solid State Regulator. I also had problems with the original style points/mechanical regulators.

My 135 amper, would eat up those old ones, but works fine with the solid state #715.

As Greg said, 12 bucks at Autozone.

Rob

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Got off the phone with Wells Tech support. The bottom line answer, even though Wells Manufacturing did not say it, is the regulator should work. (Watching my words here.)
Wells, as most manufacturers, provides a warranty with their product. This warranty is good as long as you use their product in the applications listed in their catalogs. From a business standpoint, they can't state that it will work in any application that someone may come up with.
Also glad to hear that they updated their installation instructions since I spoke to them last time. They now state in the instructions to ground the case. They plan more improvements to their web site in the next year. Suggested some installation photos and instructions may be helpful to the car community.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you John for taking the time to find out. And thanks to all the other members.
Can anyone recommend a good local dealer or online dealer to get a chromed alternator from ?

[This message has been edited by cottonpicker14 (edited 07-03-2002).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Do a search later on in this section. Search works best later in the evening. There is one brand of hi-output alternator that some people have had problems with. Can't remember which one or if it was chrome.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Check this link:
http://www.reman.com/alterstart/

Over the winter, they were selling 100-135 amp units for Chevelle's and such. I bought a chrome 135 amper, using my original wiring and external voltage regulator.

They were doing "buy it nows" on e-Bay for 79-89 bucks.

Noe Problems with unit so far.

[This message has been edited by onabudget (edited 07-05-2002).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts