Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The instructions say not to, but I've heard it works well at taking off all the little marks on the windshield. Don't want to try it unless I hear some positive results on glass.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Try it on a drink glass and see what happens. I suspect that it'll scratch it.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I'd not use Bon Ami on the windows unless you like ALOT of those lil scratches that catch the sun in the afternoons... Try some calcium remover like CLR or Lime-Away. Muratic acid will also work if used carefully. Just some common sense, rubber gloves and don't do it in the sun. Afterwards wash and dry then apply Rain-X or other like product. I use CLR and the acid.

------------------
'65 Maliblue 406SBC/PG TC #811
'94 Camaro 1LE (original owner)
'97 HD Softtail Springer

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've used Bar Keeper's Friend which, I think, is very similar to Bon Ami. It's a mild, (very fine grit), abrasive powdered cleanser. It works great for me, nice shine and no scratches what-so-ever. Only bad thing is, it's a PITA to rinse off unless you just take a hose to it.

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
70 SS 402ci TH400

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bon ami is sold in two styles, the one that comes in a can and the one that is a cake. The one in the can does state not to use on windows but the cake states for glass. Cleans and defogs windows and windshields and mirrors.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I have used Bon Ami since I was a kid. I will never use Comet or Ajax on anything that I value. There is a big difference between Bon Ami and the "harsh cleansers".
So why do they print don't use on glass and windows? Maybe they would like to sell you something else in their product line?
I've used it on chrome bathroom fixtures, porcelain, and mirrors with no ill effects. They say its safe for use on fiberglass which is much softer than most glass. So gently try it out on a piece of glass and see what happens. Unless your car has a brand new windshield, its likely already got plenty of pits just from driving on the highway (especially if you live in the desert or West Texas)
So be reasonable--don't sprinkle a tablespoon of Bon Ami on your surface along with a spoonful of water and start grinding away in one spot with a folded up piece of felt. Common sense.
Like other powdered cleansers Bon Ami will leave a powdery residue unless its ALL rinsed away. On a car it might get rinsed somewhere you don't want it to be (just like corrosive ammonia-based window cleaners could be)

My $0.02

·
Read Only
589 Posts
I've used Bon Ami cake on my Malibu, and just last weekend on my Grand Prix. Works great with no scratches, even in the Sun.

------------------
Tino #28 Gold
72 Malibu 350-300,700R4
83 Grand Prix LJ 305

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
I think there was a GM (Chevy) service bulletin dated '84 or (early) '85 regarding windshield wiper chatter. The recommended fix involved cleaning the windshield with Bon Ami, along with assuring the wiper blade was 90 degrees to the surface of the glass.

Can anyone confirm this?

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevelle Wagon
300 Posts
Here's an excerpt from a 92 bulletin:
"IMPORTANT: Before replacing any part, clean windshield with GM windshield cleaner, P/N 1050011 or equivalent. The glass is clean when rinse water does not "bead-up" across entire glass surface. Multiple cleanings may be required to remove all contaminants. Also, clean the wiper blades by using a cloth that has been saturated with full strength washer solution by wiping vigorously."
The part number 1050011 was BonAmi in a can.

------------------
ACES Member#603
Team Chevelle Gold Member #285
67 Malibu Convertible
67 El Camino
67 Malibu Wagon (project)
67 C10 Pickup
70 Malibu Convertible
Peach State Chevelles
Dolin's Chevelle & ElCamino Page

[This message has been edited by DanD (edited 09-19-2001).]

·
Registered
974 Posts
I've used it before without any adverse affects.
Sprinkle a small amount on a wet rag and rub away.

A word of caution though, if you use to much of, ANY abrasive cleaner, you'll scar the finish.

------------------
Dale
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / Modified 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

www.chevelles.com/showroom/elkydriveway1.jpeg

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have used bon ami for years on all my windshields and it is the best cleaner by far. The GM cleaner is in fact bon ami, I am the parts manager for a GM dealer and I have several cans of it myself. Best way to use is to wet the glass sprinkle on some cleaner and with a wet bug spounge got to town. You do have to rinse thourghly with a hose when finished.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.