Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about going the e85 route with the new blower setup anyone have the pros and cons can i use my current twist lok fuel lines?

ive heard e85 will lower the ilet temps considerably and make more power but will use more fuel

i need carbs still so this is why i am asking

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thansk for your help im gonna look at the site you listed for me

I appreciate all your help

Doug

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hey Doug,
I run E85 and have now for a couple years. I curently run Aeroquip push lock or twist lock hoses and a mechanical pump from Racepumps. I also run an E85 carb from AED Performance.
I really like the fuel in my high compression engine. I have not had any corrosion issues at all in over two years of constant use.
Smitty

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Same here as Smitty, 'cept this is only my second season.

Agree with the comment about you getting good info.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'm going to use the e85 it will make more power
it will cool down my air inlet temp which will help against detonation
its under $3.00 a gallon
I only drive the car a dozen times or so a year or less so gas mileage and good street manners are not a concern of mine

I want enough power to go deep into the 10`s and with the setup we are doing it should make 750+hp wich should be enough to take a 3400lb g body well into the 10`s
if i can get it to hook, Ill get kicked off the track and I dont want another roll bar car so its just a toy not a bracket race car or anything, just a fun weekend warrior.

thanks for all yoru help I really appreciate it

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyoneknow what E98, I am about to google it, Im assuming its 98% ethanol and 2% gasoline?

Im doing some homework now

thanks again for all your help

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
E98 is denatured ethanol. Not sure what it is denatured with (methanol? gasoline? something else?) I dunno. It is not readily available in most areas. Have heard of some guys buying it by the drum.

·
Registered
445 Posts
E98 is 98% ethanol, 2% gas. You can usually only get it by the drum and they are not bashful about charging for it. The ethanol is supposed to be the cheap part of the fuel, e85 is going for 2.79 in my area but the e98 is 4.50. Thats a good profit for pouring it into a drum.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am trying to locate a place that sells it by the drum in the nj/ny/philadelphia area if anyone knows how I can accomplish this please let me know

·
Registered
408 Posts
I am trying to locate a place that sells it by the drum in the nj/ny/philadelphia area if anyone knows how I can accomplish this please let me know
I was gonna say where are you going to get E85 in jersey! I would make the switch if it were availible.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have been very happy with the racepumps pump and regulator. They have performed flawlessly and I like racepumps customer service.
Smitty

·
Registered
445 Posts
I recently read where E85 is good to 14 to 1 CR.

pdq67
That will be proven wrong shortly :)

I know of a large naturally aspirated engine be gone through right now that will be over 16:1 compression and running e-85. Won't know the results until around september but this thing will make some power!!!

G

·
Right, I've read up to 17.+ CR. somewhere on E85 in a REAL race engine, but it was tuned to the nth!!

But I'm not gonna mouth off about it and get somebody in trouble that doesn't know how to set it up correctly so I stick w/ 13.5 CR.

Heck, I don't think I can even set one up at 13.5 to 14????

Good luck and please come back and tell us how "knarly" it is..

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
227 Posts
bg should be coming out with a all new carb specifically for e85- e98 for around 600 this summer it is not a conversion kit it is calibrated as a basically bolt on and go carb. I am thinking of switching mine over as we have a plant going up just south of us and we will have good availability for cruising and racing. hey here is a link to a e85 locator http://www.e85refueling.com/

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
if we had some e85 stations around here (allentown pa area), i sure as hell would buy it in a heart beat. 3.70 a gallon for 87 is getting expensive when you drive 100 miles a day. a 4.00 for 93 in the chevelle and the trans am.

aaron

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.