Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size wire are you running to it? I got a used one with no instuctions and wired it up with 14 ga. I was looking on line at the instuctions over the weekend to see what amp fuse they suggest. I noticed it says to run 10 ga wire. Is anyone having success running smaller gauge than that? I have a lot of effort in this wire harness and I don't want to have to redo it unless I have to.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Unfortunately, Aeromotive does not publish amperage vs. output pressure specs for their pump.

However, an SX performance #18203 is a similar pump performance-wise compared to the A1000, and they do publish all their specs. At 14 volts, you are looking at an 8 amp draw for a carburated application of around 7 psi, and at an EFI pressure of 50 psi you are looking at around a 15 amp draw.

14 ga is pretty light especially if it's a long run. If you are running your A1000 carb'd the amperage requirements are fairly low and my feeling is a 14 gauge wire will be OK. If you are running it on a car with EFI then you are looking at a ~15 amp continuous draw and IMO 14 gauge, especially if it is a long run, will be much too light.

FYI, I ran 8 gauge wire to my SX pump. Better to run a heavier gauge than required both for current carrying capacity and reduced voltage drop.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
14 ga. is way to small-you will burn it up in no time-if your bat is mounted in the trunk, along with the f/p, use a relay-if your bat is in the front, use a relay up front, take the feed off the bat to the relay, run #8 from the relay to the pump-most auto stores dont have a switch that will handle the amp., but will work to switch the relay-also, you will need a reg. for the pump
somewhere i have the inst. for my a1000, if i dig them up i will send them to you-wire size and distance dim. voltage

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have the A1000 w/ their fuel pump controller & the battery is in the trunk. I ran 12 gauge wire from a fuse panel ( 10amp fuse ) up front to the pump in the back. No problems. If you run the controller & carbs 14g will probably be fine. No controller & EFI your current draw will too high. Basically what the guy above said. You want the controller either way. It slows down the pump and amp draw when you are on the freeway or cruising when the fuel requirements are not so high.

Also is the fuel system a dynamic set-up? If you are running the A1000 to a regulator that doesn't have a return line, the pump has no way of cooling it's self and will have a very short life if used primarily for street use. The return system allows the fuel to flow much quicker thus having a cooling effect on the pump.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
I ran 10 gauge to a Bosch type relay near pump and controlled relay with smaller wiring. Takes load off switch and cuts voltage drop dramatically.

Mine has been on there 5+ years with no issues. Lot of street miles and crosscountry trips as well as track use. I use a return style regulator.

JIM

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

I have it on a relay, am running the right return regulator, and its for a carb application. I will probably go ahead and change it anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts