Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled one out of a 70's Trans Am and am going to put it on my 64 camino but the Frame brackets are WAY too small

I'm going to machine up new frame brackets for mine but i was wondering what everyone else did or if anyone is even running one of these

Also if you are running one and know about suspensions, Do you think it'll need a rear sway bar??

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
I'd buy brackets and polyurethane insulators from Energy Suspension long before I fabricated some. Something like this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...165G&N=700+400008+4294841743+115&autoview=sku

The way the Chevelles understeer, they need a rear bar more than they need a stiffer front bar. If you add a stiffer-than-OEM (7/8" if I remember right) rear bar, a stiffer front bar can be used to advantage.

My El Camino has 1 3/8 bars front and rear.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
I've got one out of a late 70s TA under the front of my 64. I had to buy brackets at the local parts house, but other than that it fit fine. My original bar was literally 5/8. I can't remember now if this one is 1 1/8 or 1 1/4, been too long since I measured it, but the improvement was subsatntial.

Devin

·
Super Moderator
16,160 Posts
If you want to run a really large and stiff front bar, such as your 1-1/4" bar, I'd suggest installing at least a 7/8" or 1" rear bar. I'd never run such a large front bar without a rear bar at all.

If your '64 has a small block that large of a bar may be overkill, I've found the 1-1/8" front bar to be a good fit for a small block. If it has a big block, a 1-1/4" bar probably won't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
I run a 1.25" on the front and a 1" on the back of my 67. As mentioned just buy the new brackets and bushings. They only cost about $25 or so. :D

·
Registered
15,815 Posts
The way the Chevelles understeer, they need a rear bar more than they need a stiffer front bar. If you add a stiffer-than-OEM (7/8" if I remember right) rear bar, a stiffer front bar can be used to advantage.
I gotta disagree with this... The reason these cars understeer so badly isn't because they are too stiff in the front, it's because the geometry is so bad. The more the car leans, the more the camber goes in the wrong direction. A bigger front bar will actually help reduce understeer by keeping more of the tire in contact with the road... it will still understeer, but not quite as bad. .

When one part of the combination is so screwed up from the factory, some some things don't quite follow conventional tuning theories.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.