Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scored a pair of the old style Thrush side pipes at a swap meet this weekend. They are a finned aluminum 3.5" i.d. and a (squareish) turndown on the end with Thrush name cast in.
Of course there where no guts and I think there was a cast cover for the front but don't remember. I can fake that part with aluminumized pipe, but was there a particular type of muffler inside or just a plain old 3.5 0.d. glasspack or what?

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette,71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Someone had a post the other day looking for a set of those.You might get several replies on them.I always liked the mufflers with the bird on the side,and the big THRUSH lettering !

------------------
' 72 Malibu project ACES # 1282 Team Member # 427
' 70 C-10 Pickup

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
harley
good score,always liked those side pipes!where did you find them,the lost world?my freind has them on his vette,from what I remember they had a long pipe inside the cover with a small diameter glass pack welded in the middle. also seen some done with exaust under the car and the exaust ends coming through the side pipe ends.Maybe thrush can help you out.---good day-67RAT member #199

[This message has been edited by 67RAT (edited 10-23-99).]

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've still got one of those Thrush stickers that my Dad gave me! Good score, Harley.

------------------
Jeremy J. Bennett
72 Chevelle
Team Chevelle #298

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
When I was a kid and I saw that sticker or logo, I always thought it was Woody Woodpecker. Then I found out it was actually a munufacture of mufflers.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
well harley
seem everyone remembers the logo,but not the pipes,come on guys,someone has to remember the pipe set-up,this post keeps me comin back,cause Im interested too.how fast was that bird going,anyway.190? sure looked like it.all grittin his beek and stuff.--good day harley-67RAT member #199

[This message has been edited by 67RAT (edited 10-25-99).]

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I think I have an old Super chevy with a Burgundy '66 or '67 in it, with those pipes.They were under the car, turned down to the ground.It was different, but tough looking.I also have a picture of a ' 68 Camaro(B & W) from ' 76 Chevy Power mag, it's beat and tattered, but the car in the picture has a set of Thrush Side pipes, just like you described.Square/oval looking turned out ends,Slots, RS/SS car, no front bumper,It looks mean!

------------------
' 70 C-10 Pickup

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Chet Herbert has almost the same design on his T-shirts. Mr. Horsepower,I have a shirt.They have stickers too_Old Moon equipped stickers, hats, etc.

------------------
' 70 C-10 Pickup

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Thrush was of the straight-through class of muffler, along with Cherry Bombs and Walker Blue glass-packs. They didn't really muffle, they just tuned your unsilenced exhaust. Once upon a time, anyone into cars & horsepower wore a pair with pride. They were cheaper than a real muffler, and sounded cooler. One of the first things you wopuld do to your new ride (after removing the wheel covers) was to hack-saw the exhaust and hang a pair of those babies under the floor boards. That is where your exhaust system ended. You neighbours all knew you 'had arrived'. Next came the decals in the rear windows. Later came the air shocks (& shackles if you had rear leaves) to clear your choice of rubber - too wide!
I remember the Thrush sidepipes from '71 or '72. They looked especially nice on a stepside truck from the fifties. In the vanner 70's they were very popular. Thrush used to be based in Rexdale (N.W. Toronto) but disappeared from the phone directory in the 80s.

·
Registered
337 Posts
We used to call the bird, "The Wild Pecker"
We thought it was cool.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I checked in to it and it's Clay Smith Cams, they have the same woodpecker design, also Mooneyes stickers, T shirts , hats, etc. Did you get my picture I sent to you Harley?I thought it looked tough.

------------------
' 70 C-10 Pickup

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the picture. These are finned aluminum with a end piece that is more squareish/rectangular. There is no bird but rather the name THRUSH cast into the end piece.
My exaust systems man thinks we can slip in a 3.5 glasspack with a 2.5 piping system. The major problem is ground clearence as we have creek crossings and armadillos. I don't know if I am willing to give up 4.0" of space. Still weighing the options.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette,71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Harley,

You lucky dog!!!! That is the exact set of pipes I am looking for. They are VERY hard to find in PA. I'd imagine you remember the ad I posted about a month ago on sidepipes. They are the ones I am looking for. May I ask how much you scarfed those for??? I would like to know the going price for a set like that. Good score man, but don't scarf too many of those up, coz remember ya got a chevelle friend looking for a set.

·
Registered
95 Posts
They did have the front covers on them. The mufflers in them thrush doesn't make anymore. discontinued them about a couple years ago. Good luck with the creeks and armadillos.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I saw a ' 76 Chevy Truck this morning ,and it had some type bolted on it.They had a cover pieces on the outside, with little cuts or rectangles in it.He didn't have it running, so I don't know about the mufflers inside it.I didn't want to go trounching over and start inspecting them, but he lives out from town, so I can look again if I need to.

------------------
' 70 C-10 Pickup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.