Team Chevelle banner

Anyone patch a temporary garage?

14K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  GonnaGetOne 
#1 ·
I've got a shelterlogic temporary garage that I definitely have gotten my money worth but am trying to stretch through winter. Its the tarp kind over a metal frame. wearing through at metal frame angles and looks like a tarp with strands . Its the same price as the whole unit to get a replacement cover so I don't want to do that. And its just a pain to put up. Thinking of putting a backer like rubber roofing or thin foam on the inside and coating the wear on the outside with something. will fiberglass resin burn/melt it? Trying to avoid the ugly just putting a tarp over it for now and metal roofing is same price as a whole unit. ideas?

#3 ·
#5 ·
I just keep throwing a couple of cheap tarps over mine and lash them down.After about 3 years they wear out and off they come and add a couple more.I get them at costco for about 21.99.I also add about 5 ratcheting straps across the bars on the inside for extra support.

#7 ·
seems to me that the instructions say that repairs can be made with duct tape (?)...... new tarp for mine (including both ends) would have saved me $100.00 + over buying a complete "portable garage" aka "Ghetto Garage".... I have mine on concrete so it cannot be "tied down" properly, so I just put a couple of ratchet straps from the top bar down to the tractor, or car

I have (had) a 12w x 20d x 8h with a "pitched" roof that lasted 4 years before it started to tear and another year before the tarp let go (huge snow storm did it in)..... I shortened mine up so it is a 12 x 7 and laid plywood over the top and draped a tarp over that....... but your ratchet strap idea seems like it would have worked just as well......... you purposely waited to post this until I got the plywood on because of my razzin' you on the hornet thread didn't ya T?

Buddy of mine has a 16 x 24 x 12 with a curved roof and his tarp is splitting after 1.5 years...... but he's going to have a 30 x 40 pole barn built, get some thick clear plastic and convert his to a greenhouse.

#9 ·
... I have mine on concrete so it cannot be "tied down" properly, so I just put a couple of ratchet straps from the top bar down to the tractor, or car

......... you purposely waited to post this until I got the plywood on because of my razzin' you on the hornet thread didn't ya T?
I love razzing. I can take it and dish it. These things are awesome for the price of one garage door. Even in winter on a 30 degree sunny day its hot enough inside for just a sweatshirt. Beggars and choosers. In 2 years I stop child support and will be rich so maybe a real garage. Till then i'll finish welding up my velle in my ghetto garage.....that's funny. Gots to gets mease some hoodies. I actually used my impact gun and drove lag bolts right into the driveway. Even in a hurricane/noreaster it held. Yeah the driveway will be trashed but heck we're building a chevelle here!

#8 ·
Did my complete restore in one of those shelterlogic car tents. It worked out to about 100 dollars a year for shelter. That is dame cheap. Put up a new one before this happens.

I was lucky and got away with no damage.
I think the end result turned out ok.

#11 ·
That was my first thought. Strapping across it and metal roofing. Definitely would be great for snow. Cost is the issue. It would be around 200 bucks for this size and i'm not sure how the rest of the original would react. thinking as it moves so much the screws holding the strapping down would tear it and move down the sides. I haven't ruled it out though!

#14 ·
Posting this for anyone that will find it.

So I ended up strapping my tent and spending a couple hundred on corrugated steel. Was sturdy enough for my 250 pounds to get up and screw all the steel on. Was very happy it was watertight. Then last week got 6 inches of wet snow in the night and this happened. So lesson learned I should have just spent another 100 and got a brand new one. footage from my security cam
watch on full screen

by dumb luck I had a few pallets standing up on the vert to get them out of the way so that's where the roof stopped.

#15 ·
wet snow sucks..... glad to hear no damage to the Velle, sorry to hear about the money.

my buddy never did get his garage built so he used a large tarp and covered his...... my 2x4 and plywood concoction has worked well so far :yes:

#16 ·
wet snow sucks..... glad to hear no damage to the Velle, sorry to hear about the money.

my buddy never did get his garage built so he used a large tarp and covered his...... my 2x4 and plywood concoction has worked well so far :yes:
Thanks. Funny I had 1 foot of snow on it 3 days before and it was fine. I'm definitely going to take some of the steel from this one and your ideas and firm it up. 2 more years and i'll do a real garage but for now I'm stuck in the ghetto garage.:thumbsup:

#17 ·
Yo,

Wow funny this came up. Just had a issue with a Shelterlogic tent that was purchased from Tractor Supply. Lasted just about a year. Didn't get around calling Sheltrlogic right away & when I did I was told one year warranty on the tents...But the kick in the a$$ is that Tractor Supply requires a cheaper product. Which means one thing...WE GET SCREWED...The shelterlogic tents for Tractor Supply are made with only 6.3oz material & not the 9oz on normal tents. Moral of the story DON'T BUY FROM TRACTOR SUPPLY!!!!! They are just like Home crapo & that other pretty box store.

What I'm going to do is put a tarp over the tent & some screw in anchors & bungee it down. Replace when necessary.

PS. Gotta keep that wet snow off of these things or just like the video...Swish. :(

#19 ·
Yo,

Wow funny this came up. Just had a issue with a Shelterlogic tent that was purchased from Tractor Supply. Lasted just about a year. Didn't get around calling Sheltrlogic right away & when I did I was told one year warranty on the tents...But the kick in the a$$ is that Tractor Supply requires a cheaper product. Which means one thing...WE GET SCREWED...The shelterlogic tents for Tractor Supply are made with only 6.3oz material & not the 9oz on normal tents. Moral of the story DON'T BUY FROM TRACTOR SUPPLY!!!!! They are just like Home crapo & that other pretty box store.

What I'm going to do is put a tarp over the tent & some screw in anchors & bungee it down. Replace when necessary.

PS. Gotta keep that wet snow off of these things or just like the video...Swish. :(
Tractor supply is really nothing more than an expensive Harbor Freight.

Don't use bungee's - they will stretch as the tarp gets snow on it, stress the cords and they will break...... nice quality nylon rope should work better or, like others (and probably better) ratchet straps so you can take the slack out of the tarp..... and don't buy your tarp from Tractor supply or HB either :D

#18 ·
I have to wonder (since I am not good with math :noway:) just how the warmth affects snow..... If you had 1 cubic foot of semi-packed snow (12x12x12) at 20% humidity and 0 degrees, would it gain weight when it began to melt (not raising the humidity or adding more snow)...... I'm sure it would lose some volume, but would it lose weight, gain weight or stay the same weight

#20 ·
I'm not a scientist but i have seen this on the tent first hand. If i didn't shovel off 6 inches of fluffy snow and the next day it was sunny the material gets more deflected. I don't understand it because in theory a square foot of snow should weigh the same when its melted right? The only theory i have is on my tent when the snow melts it runs downhill so between the supports and then that snow gets heavier from the added water and is causing the apparent extra weight

#22 ·
Yo,

Thanks Old, Fat, Bald Guy.

Yea I ain't buying nothing from them no more!!!!!

Makes sense....Got lots of the nylon stuff. Also noticed that the bolts on the ridge stick out & they are wearing away the material. I need to address that with some thick duct tape. Even on the good tent same problem with the bolts. Today I was on the porch roof with a shovel...Lots of stuff collapsing around here & if I didn't do the tents after each snowfall my feelings would have been hurt along with the caddy & the 73 Montego Gt....

PS. How's the diet going....l:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.