Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LH door is getting harder to close, it keeps getting lower and lower so the striker doesn't line up exactly. The detent on my hinge is totally worn out too which is annoying since the door keeps shutting. Is there anyone out there that could do a complete rebuild on the hinges? I'm talking complete disassembly, bead blasting, and primer as well as replacing the pins and everything? I'd do it myself but I don't wanna risk screwing it up.

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino
Originally was & will be Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top (now black)
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Dual Exhaust
TH-350 - 2.73 Posi Rear - Factory PS, PDB, PW, Tilt, A/C & More
My El Camino Home Page
Other Restorations -1969 Snowco Trailer & 1967 Sears Custom 600 Tractor
Team Chevelle Member #995

·
Super Moderator
13,009 Posts
Shawn,
Hinges are very easy to rebuild. It is hard to screw up. The pin and bushing kits are still available from GM. You will have to find someone to glass bead them for you.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Most of the chain parts houses like Auto Zone, Advance Auto, etc. carry generic pin/bushing kits in their Help line which is a Dorman brand I think. Also Ausley's has replacement hinges that are ready to paint and install. They're slightly different from originals at close inspection but that'd be the easiest way if you don't want to bead blast, etc.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
rebuilding is ez, the HARD part is not screwing up your paint trying to put the door back on
if it ain't aligned right you can screw up your door/fender and paint. just take your time, the rebuild is a no-brainer.

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I rebuilt my hinges last weekend. It was very easy until I snapped a drill bit off while replacing the detent roller. The story and pictures are on my web site. Smithy

------------------
http://webpages.charter.net/65chevelle/

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
One more thing Shawn, if your doors on your El Camino have not been off, the bolts attaching the hinge to the body will be extremly tight. Or so they've been extremly tight on the two cars that I've done that hte doors have never been off of.

------------------
Bryan Shook
My website with lots of classic cars
1972 Chevrolet El Camino Options, Codes & Pricing
Favorite Quote: Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.