Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at floor mats for a 66, black. See some advertized as GM licensed. With correct grain and Bow Tie. Some say correct for 67-72. Is the 66 mat different. Did the origionals have a Bow Tie? Anyone have a photo of the correct 66 rubber mat for a 2 dr hdt? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Why. they were dealer instaled, they did not leave the factory with them. at least from my understaning

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
Any that I had seen through '67 had the bowtie emblem. 1968 & later mats are different and will not fit the earlier cars due to the interference with the gas pedal.

Canadian mats looked the same except I have seen them with 'GM' molded into it and superimposed over a maple leaf. The Canadian ones were manufactured in Toronto for GM by Dominion Rubber. I haven't been able to find a phone listing for them today (I am local to them).

Mats were for dealer installation, but if that is true then why is there a factory option, RPO B37 - Color Keyed Floor Mats?

Remember that I am not an expert so I could be wrong, but I believe the above answer to be correct.

·
Premium Member
8,123 Posts
I have a complete set of 66 NOS bronze floor mats (US made ones )in my car .....they have bow tie,the repo stuff not close when you see the real deal

·
Premium Member
8,123 Posts
CDNSS,
How about a pic of those NOS mats so we know what they look like? :)

If I get some time Ill uncover the car and pull one out ......the repo ones Hinshaws sells have the bowtie in the circle logo the same just the ribbing is different and the quality ......

·
Registered
168 Posts
Looking at floor mats for a 66, black. See some advertized as GM licensed. With correct grain and Bow Tie. Some say correct for 67-72. Is the 66 mat different. Did the origionals have a Bow Tie? Anyone have a photo of the correct 66 rubber mat for a 2 dr hdt? Thanks.
To answer your question.... yes, the '66 mats were different than '67 and later mats. They were wider than '67 and later ones. They were also factory optioned but as was said before, the dealership usually put them in to save time on the assembly lines. A lot of "factory options" were put on at the dealers in '66 because the assembly lines were about six weeks behind due to the large demand.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mike, wouldn't floormats be part of the courtesy/convienence package in '66? Underhood/Luggage compartment lights, courtesy lamps under dash, day/night rearview mirror, remote outside mirror, door edge guards, and floor mats. If so, it would be a factory option, probably put in at the dealership and on the window sticker.

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
Convenience group (RPO Z19) is shown as, "Includes inside day-night mirror, L.H. outside remote-control mirror, door edge guards, luggage lamp, glove box lamp & under hood lamp."

I don't find an RPO for them and the only mention of them that I can find in the AIM is UPC 0/C2. Under PART NO. it says to SEE NOTE but there's no note that I can find on the page. After PART NAME (FLOOR & TOE PAN MAT) there's a legend note saying FURNISHED BY FISHER BODY WITHIN EACH BODY and further legends of PLACE IN LUGGAGE COMPT ON SEDANS & COUPES, PLACE ON LOAD FLOOR ON WAGONS, and FOLD MATS & CARPETS ON CENTER WITH JUTE SIDE OUT.

Suppose the next question might be are they standard options, something supplied by Fisher Body (like spare tire covers for El Caminos), or were they accessory items offered at Chevrolet dealers much like tissue dispensers, litter containers, etc.?

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
I don't see it listed as a factory installed option for '66, but in '67 the floor mats were listed as RPO B37, plus they were included in The Protection Group (door edge guards, bumper guards, custom deluxe seat belts, front & rear floor mats).

I have a set of '72 GM floor mats that came out of a '72 A-body. They fit the '72 but in my '67 they interfere slightly with the accelerator. The early A-bodies had the accelerator pedal anchored to the floor at the base whereas the later A-bodies had a fully suspended pedal.

·
Registered
168 Posts
They have to be an option for '66.... they were available. If you look in the options and accessory brochure that you you could get at the dealerships, you can see them. They even show the floormats molded in clear instead of the interior colors. ( although I've never seen a set of clear mats.) I don't think every option has an RPO number. I may be wrong, but from talking to people (some are friends I've known for years) that bought these cars new, ordered these cars when they were made available to the public, and drove them for years, I tend to hold their knowledge in high regards. I think sometimes we get into the "numbers" game and throw out good old fashion common sense?.

·
Premium Member
66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevelle 327 Convertible.
7,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stands to reason most dealers carried floor mats and seat covers in the 60's. I remember the clear floor mats & color coordinated mats and the clear seat covers. Does this mean they were available as an option from GM? GM most likely had a floor mat that they marketed though the dealers that was color coordinated in 66. Have seen a rubber floor mat with the bow tie in a circle with the cutout for the accelerator in the 67 & earlier models that was in a 66 chevelle; but who knows it may originaly have come in a 67. Then again if Mats were available as an option in 67 it's very likley they were being produced and sold though dealers in 66 before they were made an option in 67.

On another issue my book says that in 66 the guage package U14 was a regular production option and the tackometer U16 was also a regular production option. And current information says that if you ordered the U14 you automaticly got the kneeknocker Tack from the factory. Also the tack was available as a dealer installed accessory. Well I bought a 66 SS sometime in sept of 65. It had the guage package; but the tack was a dealer mounted tack on the steering column. So in sept of 65 at least one car with the U14 option did not come with the kk tack from the factor. But don't remember a thing about the floor mats. Otherwise I remember all of the other options that came on the car.

·
Premium Member
8,123 Posts
Sori guys have not had time to take a pic of my 66 NOS mats but I do know when I bot them the 67 version was a different pN and they came in a GM box and they did have a PN the seller had a whole bunch of NOS GM mats ....he has now sold them all and retired to an island in the Caribean with all the money he made !!!
Mike on all the GM Canada 64-68 delivery and Build docs I ve seen never have seen floor mats on the list ......I have the doc from 68 L79 Nova .no mats on list but car still has the original GM mats in it US built car imported and sold in Canada

1 - 17 of 17 Posts