Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I knowit's subjective considering the car weight, gears, etc, but does anyone know the approx expected milage with the GM crate 502? This asumes it's more or less stock, not a modified motor, and used for street use.

Just something we were wondering at lunch, not actually looking into one (yet...)

Thanks, Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/~68_chevelle/Chevelle/Info.html
Email: [email protected]
T.C. Gold #6
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
433 Posts
I KNOW A DUDE THAT'S GOT A 77 TRANS AM with a 455 SD Pontiac motor. It's got hp/torque numbers a little lower than the 502, and it gets 6 mpg highway or city, doesn't matter, on a 3400 lb car. It's a hot motor, though, with a lotta cam. But I wouldn't be looking at anything more than 8mpg in a 3800 lb Chevelle. It bites, don't it

------------------
Another poor college student trying
to keep another Chevelle on the streets.

--70 Malibu--
350/300hp (more than that now)
and a decaying TH350

·
Registered
826 Posts
Wait a minute! I read that question completely differently! Aren't you asking what it's life expectancy would be? As in total accumulated mileage before a rebuild is necessary?

·
Registered
174 Posts
i interpit it same way TH does

------------------
OWNER OF 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
Check out page dedicated to resto of my chevelle. still being made.
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/9801/
Team Chevelle # 424
Canadian Classics Chevelles and Beaumonts #393

Fav Quote: Second place is the first loser...

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, should have been more clear: expected Miles Per Gallon with a stock 502 in a Chevelle. Not built, moderate cam, etc. Just a plain GM 502 in a basic Chevelle.

Thanks, Kurt

·
Registered
18 Posts
If I keep my foot out of it, my '68 Chevelle with a stock ZZ502/502 gets 10-12 mpg on the highway and 8-10 mpg around town. If I drive it a little hard, the mileage easily drops to 6-8 mpg. The car weighs 3750 lbs. (with me in it) and has 3.55 gears.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the ZZ502 (stock, no headers)in my 70 with 3:08's and a 4-speed. As 68502 says 11-12 hwy, about 8 around town, and REALLY BAD when im playing....This is about the same as my wifes 5.4 Expedition but WAY WAY MORE FUN !!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Who Cares, It's a 502.
If you want gas milage get a Honda.
I want a 502 so bad that I'm considering working a third job. Third job would make it a ZZ502. A guy at LACR has a 56 Chevy 4 door sedan, tubbed and it ran high 11's with a stock ZZ502 long block, edlebrock intake and headers. Awesome power potentials even starting with a long block

------------------
JR
70 396SS El Camino #'s Matching.
69 396SS Chevelle, project "Street Bruiser"
H-D Ultra Classic E-Glide
I live to own toyz...

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
702 Posts
Byfield,
No offensive, I apologize for that statement. I thought of the 502 as a racing application. I did not mean it as it sounds, that I'm uncaring.

In the future I will curb remarks like that.

My 396/402 gets about 12 Highway and 8 in town.
Just have to learn to keep my foot out of it.

------------------
JR
70 396SS El Camino #'s Matching.
69 396SS Chevelle, project "Street Bruiser"
H-D Ultra Classic E-Glide
I live to own toyz...

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you want to max the mileage on this beast, build it for lots of low torque...carb(Q-Jet - 850 if you can find), intake (dual plane), headers (tri-y w/crossover) and low end cam (not RV, performance 1500-5000 revs-brand name computer grind). Then get a 700 R4 (with a .7 final gear) or a 20% over/under drive, and keep your rear gears in the low 3s (with that much torque, you won't need anything lower anyway)...With O/D you can have high teens mileage (at 65-70mph), and still rip when you want to.

My 2 cents...

------------------
68 El Camino...Slow, Much Work Required
98 Z28...Fast, No Work Required
Goodfellow AFB, San Angelo, TX -- Where? That's what I said..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.