Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m running a tiny engine with 2.5” head pipes to 2.5 in/out QuietFlow mufflers and 2.5” tailpipes to the rear bumper in my 66. the Quietflow muffler is reduced internally to 2.25” but then has a 2.5” outlet.
It’s not near as quiet as I thought it would be. It sounds to me like the 2.5” tailpipes are acting as echo chambers so I’m thinking 2” tailpipes might help.
But I can’t find any 2” mandrel bent tail pipes. I see stock replacement types that are crushed into shape available for the 100% correct restoration market or I could have a local muffler shop crush me up a set. But beyond how ugly they look the crushing reduces the id even farther.
I suppose I could buy a bunch of 2” mandrel bent elbows and such and build something but that sounds like a pain.
Does anyone know of a supplier that offers 2” that’s not crushed?

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,621 Posts
:cool: Keep the 2.5 inch Tailpipes and ditch the Mufflers. Get a pair of Mufflers that sound good and don't kill off engine power.

BTW Any decent muffler shop can mandral bend tailpipes for you in whatever diameter you specify. You may need to shop around for a shop.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I’m really not looking for “sound good”. I’m looking for silence. And while the Quietflows are not as quiet as I expected they are quieter than anything else I’ve been able to find. Slightly quieter than the Flowmaster 50 Series Deltaflows I had on the car previously but less drone.
And at 217 CI, I don’t ”need” more flow. I probably have double what I need for pipe now.
But to me it really sounds like the tailpipes are echoing. Like fart cans on ricers.
I’ve checked local and have not found an exhaust shop that can mandrel bend. I guess I’ll widen my search area

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to add resonators too. I would REALLY like 2” tail pipes, tucked up so there is no tip below the bumper, with resonators. I really don’t like it when the pipes show from the side.
The closest muffler shop I can find with a mandrel bender is 275 miles away in Bakersfield, CA.

·
Registered
8,833 Posts
I would like to add resonators too. I would REALLY like 2” tail pipes, tucked up so there is no tip below the bumper, with resonators. I really don’t like it when the pipes show from the side.
The closest muffler shop I can find with a mandrel bender is 275 miles away in Bakersfield, CA.
how about some 2.5-2'' reducers about the back side of the axle and replace the tail-pipes from the axle back only??

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how about some 2.5-2'' reducers about the back side of the axle and replace the tail-pipes from the axle back only??
So use my existing 2.5” bends over the axle and the neck down to a 2”? that might work...

Speedway Motors has 2" mandrel bent but they are not aluminized.
I just checked Speedway and I don’t see any 2” tailpipes for a 66 Chevelle. When did you see them?

·
Registered
Ryan
269 Posts
I ran a pair of 22 inch case 3” in/out Jones mufflers under my 70. It’s surprisingly quiet with being dumped before the axle. If it was 2.5” with tail pipes, it would sound like a Prius. (With a cam.) Give these a try.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought you were custom building out of cut and weld material.
It‘s looking more and more like I will need to go with cut and weld. In which case I may go with vinceS427BB’s suggestion and use what I have now to get over the axle and around the frame, taper down to 2”, add resonators tucked up high and turn down tips also tucked up high.

·
Premium Member
16,952 Posts
I still say consider swapping the muff to a quiet not Perf muffler like a Walker "turbo" muffler. Also, to 2/75 NN's point, I swapped from twin 12" 2 chambers to big and heavy 3" 22" Magnaflows, and it was DRAMATIC. Big db slash, Big cases quiet things down. Now, that for 7+ L of flow, not 2.4L so I would again, go with a big QUIET baffled muff like the Walker Turbo. Stock exhaust for our cars was 2.25" i do believe, fwiw.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ve said this in other posts but I’m looking for 1970’s Cadillac quiet. i haven’t found anyone that makes an offset-offset non-performance muffler. The Quietflows are the quietest mufflers Walker offers. But they are still performance mufflers. They still add a rumble which sounds like $hit with a tiny V6.
I really think small diameter resonators and smaller diameter tailpipes are the answer for me. That’s why I asked about resonators vs glasspacks. They sure look the same...

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
1,948 Posts
what happened to running a single outlet?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what happened to running a single outlet?
I did try that by blocking one side at the tailpipe outlet and it did help a lot with the volume but it was still raspy.
I wish I could get a better sound clip of it.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Those appear to be just tips. I can’t imagine they do much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts