Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
two questions i was hoping someone can answer for me.First, when you turn on your lights at night are the turn indicators always lit up and flash when you signal, or are they not lit up and only flash when you signal?? Second question is----In 68 where was the trans kickdown switch mounted: on the carb or on the accel pedal. my carb appears to be a carter made in 1973 so there is not a brkt or switch that i see. inside the car under the dash i found the two connectors and wire to the fuse box but no switch and no brkt an the accel pedal.the mount for the pedal is a square plate w/two bolts holding it over the pedal shaft.The top of the shaft has the accel cable running through.i have an original 1968 Chassis Service Manual and it states only the corvette had the pedal mount kickdown switch..

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
the turn signals are not lit up until you put your turn signal on. you have a short someware.
depending on what trans you have or had, the th400 is an electrical kickdown. it uses a switch mounted to the bracket that mounts the gas pedal. th350 uses a cable that goes to a bracket on the carb by the excelerator cable. which trans do you have?

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto
www.EINSTYN.com FO_FDYFO = four-fifty four! TC#1460, VCEA#2

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is a th400.I forgot to add that. thanks for the answer on the t/s lights. i thought it was a short too, but since it still flashed i wasnt sure.Like I said on the trans, the wires and connectors are under the dash, but theres not a brkt or switch??? did the chevelles come w/a pedal mount switch or a carb switch in 68? anyone?

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
I bet when you turn the turn signal on the front or the rear does not work or even the wrong side might light up. Check all your light bulbs first. That’s usually the origin of that problem. Look closely inside the socket too. Clean those out.
I am not sure if 68 did it. I am most familiar with 1970. They did it for cowl induction hoods and th400 kick down on the same switch. The bracket replaces the square one that’s on your gas pedal mount now. You can still buy the bracket and the switch. I bet if you have the wires there, then yours did have it. If not you can put it right in. it is a very simple function. I would much rather have it set up the way it is supposed to be rather then put an aftermarket kick down up by the carb. It’s much cleaner down on the pedal.

·
Premium Member
15,343 Posts
68's are similar to the 70. The switch is on the gas pedal for the TH400. If you want a pic let me know I can get one tomorrow before I go to work.

------------------
Jeff Angerstein
ACES#841 TCG#158 CECCO #16
68 SS396(roller 454)
68 Pro Street
69 SSRS 396(427) 4spd
87 MC SS

My Chevs
OLD BLUE ([email protected])
(10 second motor in a 14 second chassis)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx for all the help guys and having some answers so quick.Thanx Jeff for offering a pic of the brkt, but I know what it looks like from my factory assembly manual.The main reason I asked where the 68 switch was located is because my grandmother bought this car new and only my uncle had it before me.neither one seems to remember removing the assy from the pedal, and the square pc of metal holding the pedal on now looks like the original one!! However, I dont think the brkt is still available.I called my local GM Dealer today to inquire about the switch availability, and the guy had no clue what I was talking about!! He said "electric switch??".after holding for about ten minutes he came back on the line and said he saw nothing that looked like that. I hung-up. Gonna head to some salvage yards tommorrow and try to locate an assy...THANX EVERYONE!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for all the help guys and having some answers so quick.Thanx Jeff for offering a pic of the brkt, but I know what it looks like from my factory assembly manual.The main reason I asked where the 68 switch was located is because my grandmother bought this car new and only my uncle had it before me.neither one seems to remember removing the assy from the pedal, and the square pc of metal holding the pedal on now looks like the original one!! However, I dont think the brkt is still available.I called my local GM Dealer today to inquire about the switch availability, and the guy had no clue what I was talking about!! He said "electric switch??".after holding for about ten minutes he came back on the line and said he saw nothing that looked like that. I hung-up. Gonna head to some salvage yards tommorrow and try to locate an assy...THANX EVERYONE!!!

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
you probably will not find this in a yard. good luck but, year one does sell it new. and the switch too. it says 70 - 72 though bracket part number is RU115 $19.95 switch 3126n $13.50.
I have a TH400 kick down bracket from a 69-72 grand prix you can try for $10 plus $4 shipping if you want it.

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto
www.EINSTYN.com FO_FDYFO = four-fifty four! TC#1460, VCEA#2

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
You could also try our site sponsor Ground Up at www.ss396.com they have been generous in helping to keep this website up.
The problem with your lights might be as simple as an inadequate ground of the dash, check all the ground connections under the dash.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

[This message has been edited by chev64 (edited 01-17-2002).]

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leo, you were correct.My ground wire was loose and I didnt catch it just looking at it. THANX! I ended up ordering the new brkt and switch from GROUND UP even though it was $10.00 more than YEAR 1. But they were out of the brkts for another month and i dont want to wait that long.OH WELL- Thanx for all your help everybody!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.