Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an inspection sticker for the state of MD. There is no way my car will pass, it's too set up for racing. That's how I bought it. I'm willing to pay a decent price. It's $60 for a legit inspection, I will pay up to $150-$200 for a sticker.

------------------
1971 Chevy Chevelle w/ 305 Small Block
"If yellow stands for high preformace, why the hell did I leave tred marks on that school bus?"
AIM: Digital Biterate

G

·
The car is considered historic and in Maryland now there is no inspection for historic or classic cars. Just go to the MVA and get your tags.

About those stickers, there is up to a $10,000 fine for that offense, not as easy as it was once.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't want classic tags. That means you can only drive on sundays. This car will be an everyday car. If I still don't need inspection to have it as an everyday car, let me know!

------------------
"If yellow stands for high preformace, why the hell did I leave tred marks on that school bus?"

G

·
Historic tags once upon a time were restricted, I think that is no longer the case. MVA has a web site and all the forms that you need, check it out.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don't know about Maryland, but in NJ Historic plates can be used only on a car used for show purposes, not a daily driver. AND, no legit place I know is going to put their state license in jeopardy selling a sticker! They have tens of thousands of dollars invested to lose if the state catches them. I have a friend who owns a reinspection center, and it's amazing the lengths he has to go through to account for each sticker to the State of NJ. My advice is buy a car that can be used as a daily driver.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
560,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
The only way you'll have a problem with classic tags is if you commute with them. They are allowed for driving to and from events, and "General pleasure driving". That's a very broad brush, but I think as long as you're not commuting, you'll be OK. BTW If you're going to drive it on the road, make sure it's in inspectable condition anyway. It's not too much to expect you to have good brakes, glass, and mirrors.
When you say too set up for racing, I'd have to hear what would disqualify you from inspection. Racer 1320 goes 10's and is street legal.

------------------
71 Ragtop, finally under reconstruction!
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
There should be no discussion here...this guy is asking for someone to support his ILLEGAL REQUEST and I don't think Team Chevelle wants any association with that...just like we don't allow the sale of Vin Plates and the like.

Being you are new here, I will chalk it up to that alone.

Mike

------------------
MY 66 SS.COM
ACES # 1493
TEAM # 751
MCC # 501

·
Super Moderator
13,009 Posts
Mike,
I agree 100000% And considering I live in Md, and drive to College Park once a week....I dont want any vehicle that wont pass a basic safety inspection on the road anyway.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
124 Posts
you probaly could get away with using historic tags. i have them on my chevelle and drive it daily. ive never had any problems yet(about 25000 miles in the last 2 years). i could tag it normal because i am a state inspector but i like them $27 tags.

------------------
Troy Miller
Whiteford,Maryland
70 Nova
72 Nova
66 Chevelle

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll call the MVA monday and see about Classic tags. Thanks...

------------------

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your help. I better just make the changes to get it through inspection. It's not worth getting in trouble or getting anyone in trouble. Thanks!

------------------

·
Registered
148 Posts
How will it not pass inspection? Too much emissions, no lights or what? just curious

------------------
Bernadette Peters: What happens when you sit on H O T vinyl wearing shorts

Richard Dorrough
Tulsa, Ok
'70 Nomad (CHVELLE)
[email protected] Not Alt. Corrected
ACES # 789
TC # 453

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have to extend the exaust pipes all the way back over the axil, get offset pivot shafts (Can't afford at the moment) which will get done, but for now, I can throw a cheap pair of tires on the front and the only thing that will happen is that they will wear down a little faster. New headlamp switch. Bondo two small holes in the body. I'm afraid the seat belts won't pass (not sure) because they don't have a lap part, just shoulder. The interior dosn't have a carpet which exposes a small hole wear the cable for the 3 speed ratchet shift goes through to the trans. I don't have the chrome trim for the windsheild or back window (i don't think it makes a difference) and that's about it.

------------------

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.