Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a helmet for Autocrossing. The trouble I have is that there isn't much room in the car for headroom, and while I'm not tall (5'10"), with a helmet on, I hit the headliner.

Does anyone know of a brand & model which is more compact? Any tall drivers (or people with short cars) out there who've found one which works better than others?

It can be any style or brand, as long as it's Snell 95 or higher (although I'd prefer SA over M)

Thanks, Kurt

·
Registered
36 Posts
"ARAI" makes by far the best as well as most beautiful helmets worlwide. They are a bit expensive though. Hard to find in the US too. The motorcycle ones from ARAI are easy to find but I think the Autocrossing requires different specs. Check to make sure though.Most people in the US use Simpsons but in my opinion they are simply ugly. Other good helmets are "Bell".

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gee, thanks Nick. That shoots my idea of wrapping ym skull with toilet paper.

The spec's are simple: Snell 90 or higher. It can be M90 or SA90, so motorcycle helmets are fine. (but I'd prefer an SA)

Finding a good brand is the easy part. I just need to find one which will give me the headroom I need. If there are a shop in town where they sold a variety, I could just go try on a bunch, but I can't find such a shop.

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
What helmet are you currently using? you could ask these guys http://www.helmetcity.com/

------------------
You can sleep in your car,but you cant drive your house.
Tony. H . 406 powered , Mohave Gold , 72'Malibu

[This message has been edited by hoffbug (edited 05-07-2001).]

·
Registered
501 Posts
I would go fo the pawnshop/yardsale special. I just scored a helmet out of someones trash yesterday. *FREE* the best price by far.

------------------
350 4speed 12bolt 3.73's
Bench Blue w/black inter. [email protected]

G

·
I am hering some rather silly suggestions for a helmet...Simpson's Don't look good, and maybe find one in the trash.

Ever sit back and think what a helmet is really for? Ever think what could happen in a crash? Were talking about saving your brain...you might not think about it, but what about your family? What would they do if you were seriously injured in an accident?

I myself just bought a new Simpson Bandit full face (one of those "UGLY" helmets). I myself feel your safety equipment needs to be the best there is...PERIOD.

BTW, look at the helmet that most NHRA professionals choose...Simpson is probably the finest made in drag racing.

------------------
Malibu Muscle Racing
79 Malibu
414 ci BBC (4.280" x 3.600")
11.13 @ 121.8 mph, 1.56 60'
3650 lbs.

[This message has been edited by Todd Geisler (edited 05-07-2001).]

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I don't care how it looks, and I don't really care what it costs.

My concern is in finding one that has a lower profile so that I don't keep hitting my head on the roof of the car.

I currently do not have one of my own. I borrow one from someone else in the club, and while it fits me, it come in contact with the roof. I don't know what kind it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
in this part of the country your best bet would be to go to a large motorcycle dealer. they carry tons of helmets in different brands. take your car along and explain the situation.

G

·
I doubt you will find a helmet that is "thinner" obove your head. I would guess that to get a Snell approval, that the helmet has to meet certain design criteria, and I would think a certain crush distance from the outer skin to skull must be met. Reducing that distance would also reduce the safety of the final product.

I had the same prblem when I used to autocross my '86 Civic SI. When I put in a 5 point harness and sinched the belts down, it pulled by body down in the seat cushion enough so that my head no longer hit the roof.

------------------
Malibu Muscle Racing
79 Malibu
414 ci BBC (4.280" x 3.600")
11.13 @ 121.8 mph, 1.56 60'
3650 lbs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mr. Todd Geisher your sarcasm was not necessary , but thank you nevertheless.

[This message has been edited by greekboy (edited 05-07-2001).]

·
Registered
501 Posts
Trashcan Special helmet is fine just as long as it has not been wrecked before. Just cause you got it for free does not mean it is no good.

------------------
350 4speed 12bolt 3.73's
Bench Blue w/black inter. [email protected]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.