Team Chevelle banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question about a year ago, and at the time nobody had an answer. Hopefully this time I'll have better luck.

The antena on my 68 is front mounted. I'd like to replace it with a power antenna for a couple of reasons. First, to avoid cutting a hole in my new cover, and second, to just make the car look cleaner.

Apparently, this space in the fender is pretty tight, so it'll need to be a small unit. If anyone has done this, I'd really like to know where you got it, and what the cost was.

Thanks, Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/~68_chevelle/Chevelle/Info.html
Email: [email protected]
T.C. Gold #6
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Kurt, I have never done it or seen it done. I thought Chevy abandoned the power rear antenna on Chevelles after '66. Anyway, upper GM divisions continued to offer power rear antennas (GTO s & 442s comes to mind), so perhaps a donor car or a Pontiac boneyard could provide the parts. If concours correct is not an issue, perhaps you could look into any late model car with a power antenna to see if you could find a suitably compact unit.
If you want a cleaner look, perhaps you could go with one of those windshield mounted antennas (assuming you don't mind a little windshield replacement).

·
Registered
648 Posts
i just bought one from one of the chevelle aftermarket mags, they tell me it will fit and it appears compact enough. i pulled the kick panel, can't get at it through there, looks like i'll have to pull the iner fender to install. do you have an updated radio that will trigger it? or are you planning on a switch? e-mail me if you want particulars. john

------------------

1 - 3 of 3 Posts