Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just can't see paying $16 for a short coil wire from a hi-performance store. Most stores have the 8 spark plug wires that goes with the coil wire which is more. Haven't tried the junk yards and Hawaii seems to be pretty limited on parts.
Probably to lazy to go hunting for a coil wire, too.
Thanks,
Stan

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You say 8 wire sets. That's typical of a newer HEI wire set. They don't use the coil wire and the connector/boots are wrong for a points distributor cap. They have females instead of males on that end.
You sure you are not looking at the wrong set? All the sets I see here are 9 wires for the points distributor set. Just asking?

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
Stan,
Don't know which parts stores you have been to, but here in Maryland almost all of the "real" parts stores sell individual plug wires in a variety of lengths. Might want to ask and see if they have them behind the counter.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi John,
Yes, I will be using "Dave Ray (Sparkman)" HEI with external coil. I have the HEI spark plug wires I need to change the ends so they will go in the points distributor cap. That's why I'm looking for a coil wire. Sorry about the 8 wire set which I didn't include the coil wire in my previous statement.
Stan

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
That's a lot of work to change the old spark plug wire set. Are you a young guy still in school? If so, and no one else shows up, I'll come up with something.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Stan Check out any of the below stores Checker Auto Parts they should have the wire you are looking for. If not try RONS down across from the old diner off Nimitz. Another place to call is Abes Recycling in Pearl City industrail center. I saw call them since they have everything inventoried and n the computer. They would be able to give you an answer over the phone. If you go tot he parts houses take the cap with you so they can see how you need it to be setup. If you give me more info i can check the guys in out Vehicle maintanence shop and the on base parts store also.

Below are different Checkers parts stores not sure which one is near you

Miles Name & Phone Click Address for Maps and Hours Recycling Services
29 NW
(808) 979-7210 1550 S. King St.
Honolulu, HI 96826
33 NW
(808) 848-1034 1555 Dillingham Blvd.
Honolulu, HI 96819
33 N
(808) 261-6956 142 Oneawa St.
Kailua, HI 96734
36 N
(808) 234-1990 46-047 Kamehameha Hwy, Suite 6A
Kaneohe, HI 96744
37 NW
(808) 485-0414 4561-A Salt Lake Blvd.
Honolulu, HI 96818
41 NW
(808) 678-8669 94-193 Farrington Hwy
Waipahu, HI 96797
44 NW
(808) 627-0554 95-455 Makaimoimo St., Suite B
Mililani Town, HI 96789

------------------
Jeff C
67/68 & 69 RS's
65 442

[This message has been edited by HawaiianCamaro (edited 10-24-2002).]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John,
Thanks, but I'll check this weekend to see if my friend has a coil wire. I'm an old foggie tho. Just can't see dishing out $16 just for a little short coil wire.

Jeff,
I tried Checkers at Kalihi and the shortest one was 24 inches and they have it longer too. Unbeleivable! I tried Ron's but they wanted $16. IF my friend don't have one I may have to go to Abe for used parts but they want a lot of money for used parts. Everytime I go there they want over half of what a new part cost thru my experience. That would be my last resort.
Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Ill do some checking with some of the guys around me and see what we can get for you.

------------------
Jeff C
67/68 & 69 RS's
65 442

·
Premium Member
17,414 Posts
I too am running one of Dave small body HEIs (with the external/separate coil), but why not use stock-points-type wires... they are what fit the cap...

Makes no sense to buy HEI wires and convert the ends for a standard cap... Too much work... Just buy nice wires for a rugular points distributor...

When I got my distributor from Dave, I actually just ran my same old wires I had on the points setup... They were still good...

------------------

"Once you go RAT, you never go back..."
TC #1366
Tony
The Chevelle
Dual Quad 396
Side View

1 - 9 of 9 Posts