Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
9,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m thinking of relocating there. I`ve been in contact with a dealership up there for work and it looks promising. I`m just wondering about the area and surraouding cities. I`ve looked on craigslist at the housing but I don`t know what is close so while it may be a good deal, it could be too far to commute. A coupe other things I`m conserned about is the schools and the hospitals. I have a 3 yr old girl and a little boy due in a couple months so I want to make sure they will get good medical care if needed and also get a good education. Any input woud be great. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
15,332 Posts
All I can say is you will be one of many Californians crammed into a city not built for the amount of people and traffic it has now. It is a beautiful area to visit. The place is on the expensive side for Oregon. No idea about schools and the like. I have a buddy who lives in Sisters and that place is a resort type community ($$$). Commuting? Dude it is the high desert, other than a couple of smallish type towns nearby (Prineville, Madras) Bend and Redmond is all there is. I live about 100 miles west. (Over the pass). Not trying to scare you away but you best actually put boots on the ground before committing to the move. You can check distances on Google Maps. Nearest Cities? Eugene: 2.5 hours, Portland: 3.5 hours, K-Falls: 3 hours.
Good Things: No sales tax, average property taxes, no emissions checks (so far). High desert = dry but can be cold and get some snow. Lots of resorts around good skiing close by (Mt bachelor) more close enough to drive to.
Hope that helps some.

·
Banned
9,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it does Help, thanks. We do plan to take a trip up there before commiting to anything. My wife works with a guy who is from Bend and he loves it there and actually keeps a house there so he can move back eventually. I didn`t realize it was dessert. All the pics I`ve seen look like mountain type area. One thing that does scare me though is that being a Harley mechanic there isn`t alot of dealers in Oregon and they aren`t even really near by. The Bend dealer is actually hiring. We were thinking of Medford first but they asre not hiring there. We definatly have alot of research to do. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
I used to live in bend, not too far from there now. It is near the mountains but it is technically considered a "high desert", which I believe is the only one of its type anywhere. Lots of lava rock and juniper trees.

I agree with Jeff's assessment 100%. There is a lot of desert land for them to still put houses on but there are pretty much 2 main roads for everyone to drive on which intersect the town. The parkway helped some but growth has all but eliminated any benefits of it. I think the recent housing downturn has left a lot of houses on the market over there, so it might be a good market for you to shop in. One of my neighbors has had a house for sale in Redmond (14 mi. east) for many months now and said at one point there were 400 houses for sale in his price range.

If you like outdoorsy stuff, it could be fun; mountain biking trails gamut; skiing/snowboarding, hiking, and many caves to check out.

Tri-cities WA might be worth a look too. (richland, kennewick, pasco)

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
I just moved from Bend after living there for 16 years, we moved because we were originally from Montana and wanted to retire here.

Bend is a resort town that offer a lot of outdoor activities (skiing, fishing, hiking, mountain biking etc). It is still expensive to buy a house and live but the recent correction did help a some.

Excellent weather with sunny days and cool nights.

Still have good schools for your kids, my daughter received an excellent education in Bend.

Bend does have very good medical care.

·
Banned
9,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to live in bend, not too far from there now. It is near the mountains but it is technically considered a "high desert", which I believe is the only one of its type anywhere. Lots of lava rock and juniper trees.

I agree with Jeff's assessment 100%. There is a lot of desert land for them to still put houses on but there are pretty much 2 main roads for everyone to drive on which intersect the town. The parkway helped some but growth has all but eliminated any benefits of it. I think the recent housing downturn has left a lot of houses on the market over there, so it might be a good market for you to shop in. One of my neighbors has had a house for sale in Redmond (14 mi. east) for many months now and said at one point there were 400 houses for sale in his price range.

If you like outdoorsy stuff, it could be fun; mountain biking trails gamut; skiing/snowboarding, hiking, and many caves to check out.

Tri-cities WA might be worth a look too. (richland, kennewick, pasco)
Thanks. We are into outdoors stuff somewhat but it`s not a lifestyle for us. We just want a change, to start over somewhere else. I`ve been looking at house prices and they are pretty good compared to my area in California. I know the wages will be less though and my wife would be a stay at home mom so it`s up to me to bring home the bacon if we move.

I don`t think Wa is a option. Oregon is as far north as we want to go and really the Medford area was our original plan but that dealer isn`t hiring.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
FWIW, the place in WA I told you about, is SE washington, right on the columbia river, only 25 mi. from the oregon border. Very warm summers and cool winters, pretty similar to the climate in Bend. NE Oregon/SW Wa is probably one of the quickest growing areas in the state. Hard to tell there is a downturn in the housing market in tri cities. Walla Walla WA may be worth a look too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts