Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a engine wiring harness from NPD and it was from American Autowire. It's for a 72 Chevelle SS with a 454. It didn't come with a diagram and I am trying to figure out where a couple of the wires go, specifically, I am looking for which wire operates the choke.

I have a couple that are not wired up right now and they are:
There's a flat plug with four wires running into it, colors black, gr/white, (2) tan.

I have another gr/white with a single flat connector on it, that has black electrical tape around it.

There is a solid green that appears to be for the choke but I'm not sure, it too has a single connector on it.

Lastly, a peach wire that is taped to the solid green wire but is longer. I'm thinking this may go to a connector on the alternator because it has a round connector on the end of it.

If any of you guys has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. I have tried to reach out to the maker of this harness with little success.

Thanks,

Murphy

There's one that

·
Premium Member
6,771 Posts
None of the BB's had eletric chokes either. Is your 72 a stock set-up with the original carb and manifold choke? We would need more info to really be able to help you out. American Autowire is a top notch outfit. I got all my wire harnesses from them . They were very helpfull with any questions I had too. Call them again and I'm sure you will get an answer...
BTW American Autowire is here in N.J. You can get harnesses directly from them. 1-856-933-0801.......

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If you do call them ask them if there's a lead for the idle stop solenoid. That lead goes to 12 volts with the key on. If you have an aftermarket electric choke, that lead can be used.

·
Registered
146 Posts
could the longer green wire with the round connector be the water temp sender wire? I went with a custom kit from Centech and they lable each wire every 2" (but it is not a drop in kit like yours, you have to run the wiring where you need then end it at the fusebox) Kinda like wiring for dummies. If your kit was designed do be a drop in stock replacement, then maybe they also went with factory wire colorings and you can refer to your wiring diagram in the fisher manual or chilton's whatever, for exact routing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts