Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a few searches on the subject and I cant find where anyone has come up with a good reason.
I hooked my wipers up today and they work, but I can tell they arent going to park.
The motor is going into the park position, but I can tell the "key" on the drivers side wiper post is pointing a little up instead of down to park the wipers.
It's almost like I have the wrong transmition?
Are there diffent types?
The motor runs in both speeds and the pump works when the button is pushed.
All electrical is good, grounds ect...
I have the arm connecting to the motor adjusted as long as it will go, trying to rotate the "key" far enough to park the wipers.
If I make the motor arm itself any longer the transmition arm will hit the cowling as it goes around.
I seen in one search there is a screw/jamnut adjustment on the motor, does this allow the motor to go further into the park position?
Any ideas or comments welcome!
T.C.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
T.C.

There are two wiper systems used on 68-72 Chevelles. The standard wiper system "park" position is at the base of the windshield above the stainless steel trim. It uses a rectangular motor and is mounted perpendicular to the firewall. The optional U24 "Special Windshield Wipers" , I think the sales brochures called them Hide-A-Way or Hidden, park on the stainless steel trim at the base of the windshield. This system uses a round motor mounted parallel to the firewall, the driver side wiper arm has a second arm and the stainless steel trim piece is wider.

If you have the standard wiper system and it always stops at the base of the windshield, it is working correctly. If you have the U24 and it doesn't park on the trim piece. It's probably a mechanical problem with the motor.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Elree:
Thats what confuses me, I have the round motor,I have the stainless with the two lips for the wipers to rest on,I have the transmition with the extra arm, all the functions of the motor work.
I have low,high and washer, I even took the washer off the motor and watched as it went from running to park mode.
Motor doesnt get hot and the shaft going through to the arm is not binding. I checked all the grounds and even put a wire from the motor to the chassis.
Are there two different transmitions with the two arms?
Are there two differnt "round" motors?
Any ideas?

T.C.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Yes there are round motors that are not depressed park. This is a pic of a depressed park the non depressed park drove gear and drive/lock pawls are different.

In the pic the wiper drive is in the parked position. The J-shaped "drive pawl", red arrow, is snagged by a C-shaped catch that extends out from the relay/switch assembly, yellow arrow, when the relay circuit ground is removed, wiper switch to off position. If the C-shaped catch doesn't go out the wipers won't go to the park position, however if this happens the wiper motor should continue to run as the J-shaped pawl also opens a switch to stop the motor.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Elree for the reply and the picture.
The picture looks just like mine?
I will take a picture and post it later today, mabe you will see something I dont?
I looks to me if I hook the transmition up as per the assembly manual directions I would be about 1/2" short of being able to connect the arm to the motor with the wiper blade at the park position.
If not for the key on the wiperarm I could just rotate the arm a little and they would go into the park position.
thank again T.C.

·
Registered
723 Posts
My wipers would not park on my 69 cutlass. I adjusted the transmission arms to the max but I was still about an inch and a half too high on the drivers side. The passenger side can be adjusted to the correct position because it does not have that key on the splined shaft. After I tried everything to get it to park, with no success, I removed the driver side splined shaft on which the wiper arm sits. I filed off half the key on one side. That enabled me to move the wiper arm one spline in the direction I needed. When I put it back on, it parked like a charm. Then you just set the passenger arm to match. I don't know why this occurs, but that was my remedy. I think half of that key will still give the necessary ridigity to the system in ice or snow or whateve else might strain the splines.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Just thought I would mention this. The depressed park motor needs this adaptor to mount on the 68/69 firewall. Although I doubt you would be able to mount the wiper motor without it.

When parking do the wiper arms travel below the operating bottom travel position?

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replys guys:
bhawk: I was going to file/grind the whole thing off, If I cant get it going any other way I'll just take a little off, Thanks for the info.

Elree: I have that mount on mine, it has an "A" stamped on it.
"When parking do the wiper arms travel below the operating bottom travel position?"
Yes they do but not enough I can watch the motor arm go around and around, then turn the wipers off and watch the motor arm stop rotating and move toward the drivers side/park, and like bhawk I feel If I could rotate the wiper arm just a little they would work properly?
I took these pictures today (sorry they are so big)
The motor with the pump off inpark position http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/TC/P5020578.jpg

The motor arm in park position
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/TC/P5020581.jpg

The wiper shaft in park position
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/TC/P5020582.jpg
I cant figure it out, from what I have seen and you have told me they sould work?

T.C.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts