Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just attended the Canfield, OH swap meet and a vendor there was selling a product called RF-12 which is supposed to be a direct replacement for R-12. It is claimed to be a super-efficient coolant that will mix right in with R-12. The vendor says that officially though, the old system must be evacuated then recharged. The other claims are that it will cool with only half of the original charge, and that it does not need to have oil added to it. It is supposed to be in there already.

The product sells for $10/lb. I'd like to know if anyone out there has ever tried it or knows of anything either good or bad about it. Thanks Phil.

·
Administrator
16,204 Posts
There was a product on the market that was sold for R-12 systems that had some kind of flammable gas in it, maybe propane, I would be skeptical of anything other than plian ol' R-12.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,699 Posts
I'm not sure, but RF-12 may be the product called "Frigc" manufactured by Intermagnetics General Corp. This product is an EPA approved direct substitute for R-12 and has been used by the U.S. Air Force in some of its vehicles. It was marketed by Pennzoil for a while but I think that has expired. The tests results I saw showed it to be safe and as efficient as R-12. von

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'll do a little more research before buying any. The price is certainly right, and, if it is efficient as they claim, it really makes it worth giving a try. Thanks Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.