Chevelles.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Daryl Hannah has a biodiesel Elky, but does anyone know of an EV Chevelle? How hard would it be to do?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know it's sacreligious, but no one wants to throw any ideas in the pot?

I thought it would be an interesting topic.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
My question is why?

I never believed in EV because you are just deferring the fuel and smog to the power plant rather than the vehicle itself. When you plug that thing in at the end of the day, the electricity has to come from somewhere.

Hybrids are so-so. I like alternative fuels and if the US would get serious about it, I think it has a future.

·
Registered
12,880 Posts
Well, FIRST OF ALL, I can't discuss something when I don't even know what you are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What the heck is EV???????????? I understand WORDS, not abreviations!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EV is an electric vehicle. People convert cars to run on batteries only and I wondered if anyone has ever done a Chevelle.

Regarding the post above about power plant pollution, California just passed a law banning electricity companies from buying power from dirty coal power plants, the dirtiest power they can buy is natural gas power plant electricity.
Now, I don't know how much pollution a natural gas plant produces, but I'm sure it's less than coal.

I just thought it would make an interesting topic.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
If you put a diesel engine and a generator in the front and a battery pack in the bed, then cover it with a cover so you dont see it, it might be cool. It might be cheaper to install a TPI 305 and a overdrive, then you can keep the bed for putting stuff in. Jim

·
Banned
1,030 Posts
Power density is critical on EVs in order to even approach decent range and performance. Converting an already heavy platform to EV is pretty much self-defeating unless you cut out about 1000 lbs of needless fat out of it first.

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
I think this kind of technoligy in the automotive area is still a little new.

That usually translates to. Expensive.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Most of the cars I've read about people converting themselves to Electrical power, generally don't go very far. One that sticks out in my head is a mid 80s Nissan 300zx... It's max speed was like 45 mph, and had a range of 35 miles... Great if you're not going far, or fast...

So wanna take an almost 2 ton car, and make it electrical? I think it's gonna cost you more than the end result would be worth to make it useful. Your daily commute is less than 20 miles a day, great...

Want make your chevelle get super mileage? There's lots of ways. Here's an interesting combo right off the top of my head... Run a 283-307, with a 5 speed, and a tall rear end gear. It will be fun to drive and get super mileage. I've even seen a webpage where a guy stuck a toyota supra twin turbo inline 6 in a 64/65 Chevelle... I bet that got good mileage...

You wanna make your own biodiesel to save cash? Go get yourself a chevy 6.2 diesel, and drop it in... Should be no problem... Sure they're just a big rattle box, that probably won't make it to 100k miles, but why not? if you're making your own biodiesel for 50 cents a gallon, you might as well...

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
...unless you cut out about 1000 lbs of needless fat out of it first.
Some of our cars have that much rust...

I don't know, pull the big block and the TH400 and that's about 1,000 lbs...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, I have, and I drag race it.
My best time so far is 13 seconds in the 1/8 mile and 50mph.
That is at 84 volts.
I plan to go on up to 144 volts.
I expect to be over 100mph in the 1/4 mile this year.
I am in the process of changing out my 3.36 rear to a 2.56 posi.
It is a 64 4 door Malibu.
Lots of pictures and videos at DELETED
I am looking for sponsors if anyone wants to invest.
I am still in the process of restoring the Chevelle as well.
Anyone know where I can get a front bench seat and some exterior chrome?
Thanks,
Jack.
(Poorman)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,
I forgot to mention that the Chevelle holds four World Records in the National Electric Drag Racing Association. www.nedra.com

The NHRA has a section in its Rule Book for Electric Vehicles (EV's).

So the future is here and the Chevelle is showing them how it is done.

Many more World Records to come,

Jack.
(Poorman)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts