Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a six/stick model and am thinking about dropping in my 468/T400 and all the parts left over from my Nova drag car for some fun, twisting or traction issues? Makes sense to get something like this to take my walker or scooter along to shows and drags.

next are there BBC mounts and T400 crossmembers avail.? I assume yes , but who has the best prices/Quality?

One other thing where to look for frame /body rust- where?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
if the truck comes with a crossmember it will work. You just need a th400 trans mount. Then drill some holes in the frame to move the crossmember back since the 400 trans is longer. I've seen a low 9 second elky before in a mag. Guy had only an airbag in the right side, adjustable uppers and boxed lowers(along with a roll cage). So that should answer your question if it's capable.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The El Camino has a boxed frame in the center so you cant just drill holes in it and move the crossmember rearward.

I used a piece of 1/4" steel plate approx 3" wide x 12" long and drilled 2 holes to bolt it using 2 of the holes in the stock location and 2 more holes to mount the crossmember rearward for the T400 mount.

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
The unique Elky cross member will need to have an extension bracket made to position it back where it needs to be. I had to notch out and reinforce the cross member to properly clear the TH400 mount too.The Elky frame is fully boxed and the attaching holes are different than a car frame. There will be less flexing with an Elky than a car because of the stiffer frame. You will need the BBC frame mounts for the engine. SBC mounts only accomodate the non-interlocked motor mounts - or go with Energy Suspension "high and wide" poly front mounts.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Guy I know put a water bladder in his tail gate and fills it and opens it during track time. The Pass side tailgate hinge is locked straight with a home made pieces of steel to keep it from moving up & down. His 60' times are really good!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Twisting or traction issues?? Like any other car, it depends on how you build and drive the car, but it can be done.

I agree, Bomber67 is a WEALTH of info.

R/ Dave

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
So why did you wait all day before trying to buy it? j/k

Dang, I was looking for an outlet to all my '65 El Camino drag info, guess it will have to wait.

Dave has the real fast '65 El Camino - his will hit the very upper 8's ~ 160 mph 1/4 mile before long (I think his early 1/8th mile passes are in the 5.7x's at 127 mph). Ten second street licensed cars are the new 12 second cars, the real street heavy hitters are the 9 and 8 second cars. Years ago any 12 second car would clean up on the streets, not any more.

Thomas

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yah , no answer there all day until late in the day then he let me know it was sold to a guy in Canada,same place my Nova went. The exchange rate in their favor these days is making american muscle attractive now.I did find a 64 300 4dr w a 6/PG on a local collector site tho.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Pretty late response, but my good buddy has a 8 Sec 71 Elky. It's pretty insane. Single carbuerated 540 does the job. Still has the frame, but fully caged, tubbed, etc. etc. etc. One night he actually fired it up for me. That was cool. :) I want to say its for sale too....but I'm not sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts