Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a board interview on friday for a local police department. I was wondering if anyone could help me out on the questions they may ask. I can say its a safe guess that theyll ask why i want to be a police officer. Ill take any advice cause i want this job badly

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
I can say its a safe guess that theyll ask why i want to be a police officer.
So I can pull over hot girls! :hurray:
Just kidding. Good luck with the interview Danial.

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
Three questions are usually like these or similar.

1. If you pulled your mom over would you give her a ticket? Or your best friend? Why or why not? Or maybe your mom or best friend were drunk. In other words, why would you give a ticket to a stranger but not your mom.
2. If you were checking an alarm (open building) at a business late at night and saw your partner steal something of significant value what would you do? Or how about if he just took a candy bar?
3. Just as you said, one of them will always be why you want to be a cop. Not really an insightful question, but the answers are usually hilarious.

All the rest of the questions are usually situational. If you've got good common sense you'll do fine on these. Just remember on the situational questions that safety is first.
Good luck,
Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

1. If you pulled your mom over would you give her a ticket? Or your best friend? Why or why not? Or maybe your mom or best friend were drunk. In other words, why would you give a ticket to a stranger but not your mom.
2. If you were checking an alarm (open building) at a business late at night and saw your partner steal something of significant value what would you do? Or how about if he just took a candy bar?
3. Just as you said, one of them will always be why you want to be a cop. Not really an insightful question, but the answers are usually hilarious.

All the rest of the questions are usually situational. If you've got good common sense you'll do fine on these. Just remember on the situational questions that safety is first.
Good luck,
Mike

:thumbsup: appreciate it

·
Premium Member
708 Posts

Good luck,
Mike
Very Good Information!, Good Luck with your interview...........

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Daniel - Spent 30 years on the job in my experience there will two or three on the interview panel. Look at the one asking the question make sure your brain and heart are connected no long winded answers just straight up nice and tidy know where you are going . It is hard to prepare but be sure to listen to the question take a second or two to relax evaluate your answer
Good luck let us know how you do --tim--

·
Registered
170 Posts
My board consisted mostly of judgement questions. If they are effective supervisors they will not expect you to know most of the answers unless you have prior experience. They want a feel for how you reason and think. Also I was honest on moral type questions. I said "no" to the writting your own mom a speeding ticket. I told them my reason was I did not intend on being a officer who did not take all factors of any situation into account. They laughed and said they never believe candidates who say they would write there mom a ticket.

Also in any scenario type question ALWAYS think safety. Thats the big thing in Law Enforcement now. If you answer questions like Rambo would, you probably will be passed over. And don't "flip-flop" your answers. If you believe your answer is right stick with it and don't let them talk you into changing it. Decision making is very important. They don't want an officer at a call all night changing his mind about what he needs to do.

Also everyone I know that is a cop was asked the "do you have a problem using dealdy force if called for?" In other words can you shoot and kill someone. That you have to answer for yourself.

Good luck on the interview remember firm handshake and look them in the eyes when answering questions.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Thank-you for considering a career in service to your community. And to all those in service, please know there are some of us out ther who do appreciate the risks you take for the bettement of our communities.
Ron

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The series of questions may also duplicate themselves in different forms....to see if you change your answer based on "how the question" is presented. Like he said above.....your personality profile may show up too. If you see things black and white or you could be more "neutral".....what ever your built in traits are will show up and there is nothing you can do about it.....it's natural.:noway:

I was kicked out immediately, I was playing Alice's Restaurant in the background:D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I was interviewed for a reserve officer's job. I believe they failed me based on two different questions.

Q: Would you use the gun in your glove box if you needed to?

A: Reserve officers aren't allowed to carry guns......

Q: Would you be able to use deadly force if someone pointed a gun at you?

A: If someone pointed a gun at me, I would shoot first and ask later.

FAIL!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Daniel - Spent 30 years on the job in my experience there will two or three on the interview panel. Look at the one asking the question make sure your brain and heart are connected no long winded answers just straight up nice and tidy know where you are going . It is hard to prepare but be sure to listen to the question take a second or two to relax evaluate your answer
Good luck let us know how you do --tim--
I agree completely. Most boards consist of a number of Superisors and sometimes civilians. At least thats how things are done here in Canada. I have worked in law enforcement for well over 20 years and have also had the opportunity to train some of the finest at OPC, in Aylmer, Ontario. Being a Constable is a challenging career and with the right mindset, you should have no problem passing the board. Common sense, public safety and honesty are the three most important things to remember when answering your interview questions. Take a deep breath, think about your answer before opening your mouth and take your time. If you arent sure about something, ask them to repeat the question.

As for ticketing your mom...well I know of one nameless twit in a uniform who used to pull over his colleagues while he and they were both on duty and out on patrol and he would write them tickets for HTA infractions. Needless to say he didnt end up with many friends and didn't end up with any promotions. I think he eventually ended up getting nailed for impared or something and wasnt cut any slack by the arresting officer. He lost his liscence and his job. I guess what goes around comes around.

Anyhow, good luck and keep smiling!

peace!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Pretty good advice here Daniel, so what I tell you will probably sound like what the others have said. These are all very important points though.

Q's - Why do you want to be a police officer?
Is/are your wife, mom, parents okay with you becoming a police officer?
Do you know of the dangers involved with the job?
Situational stuff (mom speeding, burning building somone screaming, etc.)
Know about the department and city (number of officers, chief's name, special units, populaton, square miles)
Look up and study a bit on "community policing", I'd put money on it that your department believes in it.

Interview hints - BE ON TIME (should be obvious but tons of people get dropped for this reason), shake everyones hand when you get in the room, look them in the eyes, sit up straight, be confident (tough when you're nervous but act it), look at the person that asked the question but give glances to the others also, your answers should be short (include enough to answer the question and no more), DO NOT change your answer, when it's over shake everyone's hand again and thank them for the interview.

Example for short answers:

Q - If someone pointed a gun at you, could you use deadly force?
A - Yes.
Q - Why would you?
A - Because this situation would call for it.
Q - How do you know you could?
A - Because I want to go home at night.

Most likely they will leave a pause (silence) after you answer, don't say anything. They are waiting to see if you start babbling because you're uncomfortable, because that's the perfect time for you to stick your foot in your mouth.

Here's a good situational and stick to your guns question I got in one of my interviews.

Q - (briefly) You pull a car over for speeding, the guy's wearing a tux, says he just got married, forgot the tickets for honeymoon at home, while talking you notice he's a little intoxicated. Would you get him out do roadsides and if he failed arrest him for DUI?
My A - No (boy did thier eyes get wide)
Q - Are you sure? He's intoxicated and you wouldn't arrest him for DUI?
A - (at this point I elaborated more) No, I wouldn't arrest somone for DUI on thier wedding day. He's not driving anymore, he's going to call for a ride or something, but no DUI on his wedding day.

I must have been the only one they ever heard answer no to that question, because they were stumped.

A little long, yes, but I like to help people trying to get into the profession. I'm still a baby cop just going on two years, but I love it. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
An obvious one... I was asked if my partner was injured when chasing a suspect, would I continue to chase the guy or stay with my partner? I said I would stay with my partner and use the Motorola to help other officers that would be on the way to catch the guy.

I got it right - but it was obvious.

Good luck!

'bear

·
Registered
579 Posts
the answer to giving your mother a ticket is no, you would not have pulled her over in the first place unless you were pranking, and secondly mothers never do anything wrong in front of their children!!:D :beers:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts