Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put a 350ci motor in my 70 chevelle after i took a 307 out of it and put a HEI distributor in place of the point type that was in it. i have not run a 12 gauge wire to my HEI yet and just wanted to see if the engine would turn over. i have no power at all to the fuse box or any accessorys. now when i wired the new starter i only used the + battery cable to the starter and the wire that goes to the neutral safty switch i think. i didnt put any wire to the (r) post on the solenoid, could that resistor wire have anything to do with my problem? also i have not put my linkage on my transmition to asure that i am in park or neutral, maybe that would explain why it will not turn over with the key. i can use a remote starter on my solenoid and the motor turns over just fine. if there is a power up wire in the harness that goes to the fuse box, what color is it? any ideas will be welcome. can i run a jumper wire to the fuse box to test it? also when i run my HEI wire to the distributor where should i hook it to the fuse box? i could not see anything marked (INGITION) so that it will only be hot when the key is turned on or in the run position. i know this is a lot of questions, but you guys and gals seem to know a lot about chevelles. thanks again... charlie

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Let's see.
Connected the large battery (+) wire to the solenoid/starter, Yes?
Connected the small battery (+) wire to the junction block, Yes?
Connected the large battery (-) wire to the engine?, Yes?
Connected the small battery (-) wire to the right inside fender, Yes?
If all that's OK I'd measure the red wire on the horn relay. See if you have 12 volts from the red wire to a clean spot on the radiator core support. That's a fairly good starting point to figure out why nothing has power.
What you are looking for is a terminal marked IGN on the fuseblock to attach the new HEI wire.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John, you say the small + wire to the junction box, does this wire come off the starter or off the positive side of the battery?. also you say the small - wire connecter to the fender as well as the motor. does this wire come off the negetive side of the battery as well? how about the (R)post of the solenoid, do i not need any wire going there because i am putting HEI distributor on the car instead of point type? if no power at the horn relay where to next?>>> charlie

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
John, you say the small + wire to the junction box, does this wire come off the starter or off the positive side of the battery?.

Positive side of the battery.

also you say the small - wire connecter to the fender as well as the motor. does this wire come off the negetive side of the battery as well?

Negative side of the battery.
how about the (R)post of the solenoid, do i not need any wire going there because i am putting HEI distributor on the car instead of point type?

Not needed to get power to the lights starter or anything else. Only needed for points ignition and not HEI.

if no power at the horn relay where to next?

Maybe a bad connection at the junction block.

If the writing on the fuseblock is washed off you can find out which terminal it is by measuring it with the key on. Need to fix your no power problem first.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John, Many Many thanks!!!! you were exactly right about the simple small (+) wire from the battery to the junction box. it had fallen out of the wire connector that someone had put on probably years ago. now i can get power to the fuse box and find out which fuse has 12 volts only when the key in in the (on) or the (run) position to feed my HEI and then i can fire the old girl up.

my brother says that starting a project engine like what i am doing is just like giving birth. i'm not sure that he knows what he is talking about but i guess i'll probably need a delivery room and an ependural sunday the 16th. then i can start on the body of the car one small peice at a time. again thanks...... charlie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts