Team Chevelle banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 3rd exhaust thread I've started for my exhaust purchase but I am having trouble sourcing the mufflers that will work with a flowmaster 1041 pipe kit and at the same time don't want to be disappointed with the end result.

With others help (pics and answered questions etc THX a bunch Malibu ss 64) I've figured out that a 14" case muffler would work with just the usual trimming/fitting and a 20" case muff won't work easily like the 14".

So one last inquiry as to who has/using Dynomax ultraflow 17229 14" mufflers and is there any reason why you wouldn't use them again??

And of course if you love 'em also feel free to say.
D

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I like the Dynomax 17749 but thats a Turbo muffler but it has such a nice tone. It reminds me of our old wooden Chris Craft speed boat...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the Dynomax 17749 but thats a Turbo muffler but it has such a nice tone. It reminds me of our old wooden Chris Craft speed boat...
Yes, I'm with you on this because I have really old turbo styles on the car now with the factory sized 2 1/4" exhaust and I do like it overall soundwise and it's fine ish with 396 and manifolds now but I'm doing 468-496cu in soon as the Covid BS calms a bit which maybe never.....and even now I think I'd benefit with new exhaust so might as well go big and flowing so there's no need to adjust again for lack of flow but don't want to screw up on sound end either as it's a big part of the overall driving experience.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I have the 17222 ultraflo mufflers which are 2.5 inches but I think the sound may be similar to the 3 inch just a little quieter , I think they have a mellow sound at idle compared to the flowmaster 40s but really come out at higher rpm , here a vid I did a after the swap

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the 17222 ultraflo mufflers which are 2.5 inches but I think the sound may be similar to the 3 inch just a little quieter , I think they have a mellow sound at idle compared to the flowmaster 40s but really come out at higher rpm , here a vid I did a after the swap

I like all 3 combos but we all know flowmaster muffs have the dreaded drone.

The thing is that each 2.5" 17222 is good for 455 loss free HP so that would be plenty from a "needed" standpoint and probably fit on car a bit easier and maybe less chance of having empty garbage can sound at idle.

But the 1041 3" pipe kit has the tailpipes that come out behind the wheels and the 17229 3" will fit right in with the 1041 kit I might as well do the 17229. I kind of want the behind tire exit point.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
I use the 17222 on my 468 with headers and full 2.5" exhaust, tailpipes have downturns at the rear bumper. Would highly recommend them, nice tone and can hear my radio and carry a conversation at cruise. WOT sound is great. They have been on the car for about 10 years now.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I use the 17222 on my 468 with headers and full 2.5" exhaust, tailpipes have downturns at the rear bumper. Would highly recommend them, nice tone and can hear my radio and carry a conversation at cruise. WOT sound is great. They have been on the car for about 10 years now.
Did you use 17107 flowmaster kit or some other??
If not flowmaster, which one and h or x pipe?

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Did you use 17107 flowmaster kit or some other??
If not flowmaster, which one and h or x pipe?
I had a custom 2.5 inch true dual system fabricated by a local shop who does great work.

Reactions: 72McBowtie

·
Registered
1970 Chevelle Vortecpro 496, Hotchkis TVS Suspension, TH400, Factory 12 bolt/strange axles
74 Posts
I just put on 17220 dynax and I love it, mild tone while cruising and it really comes to life when you hammer down. I was thinking these straight through mufflers would be much louder then flowmasters I took out but that was not the case at all. Much better tone and no where near the drone sound in cabin. Check this thread Harris posted some great info on dyno results and dynomax mufflers

·
Registered
42 Posts
Love my Dynomax 1722 also. This muffler is not annoyingly loud.

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
1,906 Posts
This isn't exactly what you're asking for, but I do have some input? I put a dynomax system on my 2000 ZR2 S10, it's a beater/hauler/bad weather truck. Aluminized pipe, stainless muffler. Tailpipe just rotted out and I replaced it last night. I had to use air hammer with panel trimmer bit to split the piece of pipe still left in the outlet of the muffler. When it went through, the piece dropped into the muffler, rattled around, and fell to the front?? It's a 2.5" muffler, looked inside and the muffler looks like a 3.5" internal that they neck down for different pipe sizes.. I had to use a magnet to fish the piece of pipe out of the front. So if you go with dynomax you may be getting a one size fits all with inlet/outlet set to your pipe size, just some trivial knowledge for the group. Muffler is doing great, just aluminized pipe is going south, sounds good with the little 4.3 (3/4 350). Now I feel like I have to post a recipe, seems like that type of rambling before you can see how long to cook something.. 😅

1 - 12 of 12 Posts