Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who had the stock ratio power steering gear on a '66 or '67, & have changed to a "quick" ratio, what do you think of the difference? I'm considering the change on my '67. It seems like a lot of turns lock to lock on the stock power setup, & the "feel" of the steering doesn't seem as positive as it could be, in other words, very little effort required to steer versus some "resistance" feel like the newer cars. What's everone's opinion of the way to go here? I see that Ground Up & others offer a gearbox, but they all seem pretty high $$$. Do those require changing from stock hoses to special metric/inch hoses, etc.? All suggestions/opinions welcomed & appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I have a Monte SS box in my car and one for my other 66. It does seem to require a bit more effort but I may need to change the pressure. Don't let the fitting thing scare you. If you can get a Monte SS or Grand National one just get the piece that goes into the back of the pump then you put it in your pump which it does with no modifications. Use a pressure line form the same Monte SS and the rest is not bad. You use a rag joint coupler fron a late 70's Chevy Truck and the lower 1/2 bolts to your input shaft and then to your rag joint. It all looks very stock. I did all of mine under $100, even with the seal kit for the box.

I has a lot less turns.
Whittaker

------------------
1966 Chevelle Malibu Sandalwood, Gold color
454, .30 over, dual quads
700 R4 transmission
12" disks up front and hope to have disks in the rear soon.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I put the box from Year One in my 67 and I love it! I haven't been able to drive the car much since I put it in but it was sweet when I did. You can do it a lot cheaper if you go find a box and get the hoses with the different fittings...just depends on whether you want to save money or your time. Do a search on the subject to find the place that sells the hoses (or adapters).

------------------
Rick Sutter
Member #383
'67 Chevelle Super Sport
67SS.com

·
Registered
49 Posts
I haven't put mine in yet, but I stumbled on a MrABody's website where he has some great info on the swap.
http://www.geocities.com/skullmobile/lazylemans.htm

once you get to his page, click 'Steerage' on the left.

Based on his page I grabbed the pressure fitting from the donor car and found an ragjoint from a 78 p/u, everything looks like it will line up great!

Check it out

------------------
Brian

1970 Chevelle Malibu

Sasquatch's Webpage

G

·
I just installed an AGR gear and pump that I got from Summitt. It was around $500 but what a difference. It's the best money I've spent in a long time. The Monte SS unit should produce the same results for less $$$. I just wanted an easy bolt on setup. Time was an issue for me more than the bucks at the moment.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Agree with the above. It is a very worthwhile upgrade. I feel the car steers like a new car. Much more of a performance feel. Got the box from an 87 Monte SS from a guy in the classifieds. I was able to use original style hoses (got new ones though for $15) by getting adapters from Lee Manufacturing. Cost about $8 (plus a few extra dollars for the coupler to connect the box to the column). Total cost less than $100. You can do a search here for the number to Lee manufacturing. Great people. Very knowledgable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.